Can't SSH or SFTP any more

Discussion in 'macOS' started by am1971, Apr 16, 2008.

1. am1971 macrumors member

Posted this on the Apple discussions boards but need to try and find a fix urgently, hopefully someone can help.

-----

Got a strange problem, hopefully someone can help.

I can no longer use SSH or SFTP on my machine. I use SSH to log into a web server I have, just for admin and to monitor the load at times. I also connect via SFTP from time to time. I can no longer do that.

When I try to SSH I get a message saying [process completed] in the terminal window and 'permission denied' using Transmit to SFTP.

I can use HTTPS to connect to the web server's control panel. I also use SFTP to connect to another web server and that doesn't work either. Again I get a 'permission denied' error.

I'm connected via wireless, there's another machine downstairs which is connected directly to the router. That machine can use SSH and SFTP with no problem.

I created a new user on my machine and tried to SSH and SFTP via Terminal (and Transmit for the SFTP) and got exactly the same errors.

The only thing I've installed in recent days is the 10.5.2 update and a preference pane called 'media link' which allows me to stream content to my PS3.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening and what I can do to fix it.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Well, if it were me, I would first try to repair permissions. If that doesn't work nix the "media link".

3. am1971 thread starter macrumors member

Tried all the obvious stuff. Nothing has worked.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Can you do a telnet to that server on port 22, to see if the server is "open for connections" on the SSH port?

Example:
    telnet <dns.name.server> 22 <ENTER>

See if it gives you a connection prompt with escape character.

5. am1971 thread starter macrumors member

Found a solution - it involves deleting files from a prog called Audio Hijack by Rogue Amoeba software.

Running the following command in Terminal fixed it: sudo /usr/local/hermes/bin/hermesctl unload