Can't stand the IOS4 Multitasking

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
okay so ive previously used a Jailbroken multitasking app for my iphone before i upgraded to ios4. upgrading to iso4 i was happy to think that there would be a self sufficient stok multitasking that works seamlessly with the OS.

Not only is this not real multitasking, but it doesnt save anything, it may as well just be shutting down the app and restarting almost everytime.

Case and point: someone mesages me on msn messenger (ebuddy) with their number, so I minimize the ebuddy and add a new contact, but forget the last few digits of the number, so "multitask" to ebuddy to get the rest of the number and then "multitask" back to the contact add... NOPE it not only didnt save my spot of adding the contact it completely shut it down and acted like I just clicked contacts....

This is prevalent in MANY of the apps, its not multitasking AT ALL, I'm tempted to downgrade and re-install MultiFl0w..

how can apple get away saying this is true multitasking, its a mere "history" of what you had opened and doesnt even run in the background

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
This is the fault of the app developer. They determine where the app's save points reside. I'd recommend that you write to the app developers in question and raise the defect.

Comment

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

If the app developer doesn't update their app to take advantage of the iOS4 multitasking features, then their app won't be doing any kind of multitasking.

I think Apple figured most developers would be updating for iOS4 anyway, so why not. Unfortunately I've got apps that haven't seen an update since 2009, and others that just updated to be "iOS4 compatible", whatever that's supposed to mean.

Irritating, but that's the way it is I guess. I just switch to apps that are up to date when possible. (r u listening skype?)

Comment

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Apps have to been rewritten to take advantage of multitasking. Those apps would specifically say they can multitask (as a developer would want to mention this feature).

For example: You can't use an App released in March of 2010 in multitasking as iOS 4.0 (which has APIs for multitasking) wasn't released to developers.

Comment

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
This is the fault of the app developer. They determine where the app's save points reside. I'd recommend that you write to the app developers in question and raise the defect.
I hate when people say this in response. I have the same problem as the OP with many apps, and you know what? All of the apps which interact poorly with iOS 4's multitasking are Apple's built-in apps, the ones that come with the phone. SMS, Contacts, Stock App, etc. These are all as un-multi-tasking as they always were, or in some cases, actually worse-off than they were prior to iOS 4.

Comment

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
This is the fault of the app developer. They determine where the app's save points reside.
Correct. Apple provided APIs to allow for multitasking and the developer must utilize them. If not, then the multitasking really just functions as a recents list.

Is it true multitasking? I could probably argue both ways, but I don't think that was really the point of your post.

Comment

Pattycerts

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Yeah its pretty clear (if you read it) that he's talking about Apple's CONTACTS app, not e-buddy.

Comment

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Pattycerts said:
Yeah its pretty clear (if you read it) that he's talking about Apple's CONTACTS app, not e-buddy.
Ok, so "Contacts" jumps out of edit mode when switching apps. That's funny, but it seems it saves what you edited (or half-edited) and to return, just touch "edit" again?

Comment

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Just because Apple makes the iPhones, doesn't mean they aren't using the same APIs as everyone else. They need to take advantage of their own features. Its known that all their apps have not yet been updated.

Comment

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Odd, my eBuddy works perfectly with iOS4's multi-tasking feature.

I can double tap mid-conversation, go to Safari to check something, double tap again and return to where I was on eBuddy.

Comment

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
LOL I know. "Apple Multitasking" AKA "Task Switching"
NO. You don't know.

Apple has multitasking. The app developer has to write his app to run in the background. Whether it is for chatting or uploading content, the developer has to enable that in his app. This has nothing to do with switching between apps, which is, you know, switching between apps. Apple has enabled by default sleeping for apps, that's why when you switch to another app it opens at the same state it was before. This doesn't mean it was running in the background.

Comment

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Just because Apple makes the iPhones, doesn't mean they aren't using the same APIs as everyone else. They need to take advantage of their own features. Its known that all their apps have not yet been updated.
Apple has been able to use multitasking in its Apps since iOS 1.0.

Comment

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
NO. You don't know.

Apple has multitasking. The app developer has to write his app to run in the background. Whether it is for chatting or uploading content, the developer has to enable that in his app. This has nothing to do with switching between apps, which is, you know, switching between apps. Apple has enabled by default sleeping for apps, that's why when you switch to another app it opens at the same state it was before. This doesn't mean it was running in the background.
NO. You don't know!

The features the OP describes are not multitasking.

Apple enables very little true multitasking in iOS.

Fast App Switching isn't multitasking, nor is it "sleeping".

Comment

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Yes the apple made own apps don't even "multitask" properly, it's a damn shame they claimed to multitask.

Computer multitasking - the apparent simultaneous performance of two or more tasks by a computer's central processing unit

This is not apparent in even their own apps such as contacts.

And I wasn't the one who said "multitasking" they were it is all over their website!

Comment

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Yes the apple made own apps don't even "multitask" properly, it's a damn shame they claimed to multitask.

Computer multitasking - the apparent simultaneous performance of two or more tasks by a computer's central processing unit

This is not apparent in even their own apps such as contacts.

And I wasn't the one who said "multitasking" they were it is all over their website!
This. I still like this a lot better then what we had before (going from my iPhone 4 to my iPad is ********** miserable) but it's still pathetic to depend on the developers to update their apps.

Comment

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Even if you get true multitasking you'd be bitching now about battery life. Which one do you prefer? Shorter battery life or real multitasking?

Comment

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Even if you get true multitasking you'd be bitching now about battery life. Which one do you prefer? Shorter battery life or real multitasking?
Considering as iphone users we have SO MANY CHARGING OPTIONS... I'd take true multitasking.

Seriously, I can plug my phone into any outlet, my computer, my docks, my car...

Comment

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
why not just copy the number via "copy/paste" in ebuddy and then just paste in in contacts...why use your head to remember??

side note...I can half edit a contact, leave the screen and come back and its still where I was...the "multi-tasking" function seems to work pretty well I think...

Comment

kepner

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
how can apple get away saying this is true multitasking, its a mere "history" of what you had opened and doesnt even run in the background
That's why they didn't call it "backgrounding".

I'm think listening to Pandora, receiving GPS directions, and typing a text message all at the same time qualifies as multitasking. The fast-app switching is just an illusion, sure. But it works great (with apps that support it correctly).

Comment

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Not going to read every post but Apple already said its not true multi-tasking some apps can run in the background but the app has to be developed to. <rant>I wish they would allow us to disable what programs can be in that little bar though. Its pointless I can scroll through the list of more or less closed apps slower than I could just click on the icon on my screen and get the same result</rant>

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.