Can't start Accounts prefs pane and Disk Utility. Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stingray454, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I've seen a couple of crashes on my 2010 Air - it's started to hang while doing basic tasks, like browsing, watching a movie or sometimes while just displaying the desktop with no applications running. It doesn't seem to be a heat issue since I can play 3d games for hours sometimes without any problem.

Today I started looking through the preferences panes for clues. When I got the the Accounts pane, I got an error box saying "Preferences Error - Could not load Accounts preferences pane". Hmm.. I checked the system log and found this:

Code:
    2011-04-25 19.16.50	System Preferences[278]	[NSPrefPaneBundle instantiatePrefPaneObject] (/System/Library/PreferencePanes/Accounts.prefPane): principalClass is nil.

Does anyone know what causes this error? I started to suspect I needed to repair disk permissions or I had a bad SSD, so I started Disk Utility.. Only to get a new popup saying "Disk Utility could not be opened because of a problem". What!? I checked the logs again, but it didn't really help. Here's what I found:

Code:
    2011-04-25 19.08.22	[0x0-0x1f01f].com.apple.DiskUtility[270]	dyld: Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$_XSAction
    2011-04-25 19.08.22	[0x0-0x1f01f].com.apple.DiskUtility[270]	  Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ServerKit.framework/Versions/A/ServerKit
    2011-04-25 19.08.22	[0x0-0x1f01f].com.apple.DiskUtility[270]	  Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ServerFoundation.framework/Versions/A/ServerFoundation
    2011-04-25 19.08.22	[0x0-0x1f01f].com.apple.DiskUtility[270]	 in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ServerKit.framework/Versions/A/ServerKit
    2011-04-25 19.08.22	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[90]	([0x0-0x1f01f].com.apple.DiskUtility[270]) Job appears to have crashed: Trace/BPT trap
    2011-04-25 19.08.23	ReportCrash[272]	Saved crash report for Disk Utility[270] version 11.5.2 (298.4) to /Users/erik/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Disk Utility_2011-04-25-190823_MacBook-Air.crash

I checked the app crashlog too, but it said the same thing. I'm starting to think the SSD drive is bad, but I can't check it properly without Disk Utility, that I can't start. I also tried copying the Disk Utility app from another computer to a new folder on the Air, but it still won't run. Does anyone have any idea what I could do next? I have no idea :)

I've rebooted the Air with "D" pressed and ran the hardware diagnostic, but it didn't report any errors.

Any help appreciated!

2. Stingray454 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so here's what happened..

I checked everything I could think of - the files accessed when I tried to start certain programs, their size/date/permissions and such, to see if I had any missing files or similar. I came up empty with that.

Then I booted from my USB restore disk and used Disk Utility from the menu there. I did Repair Disk (no errors) and Repair Permissions (a few things changed). After reboot, the problem was still there though.

Then I tried re-installing OS X from the USB drive. After it got about half way the installtion stopped :(. It had a message about not beeing able to write some system files, and "Reboot to try again". So I did just that. The second time, the installation finished.

After the installation, the previous problems were fixed. However, I'm still not sure the SSD is ok in my air - how come more and more programs stopped working before the re-install? And how come the install itself failed once, and then worked? I ran Disk Utility and Disk Warrior, but neither report any problems now. Is there any other way to make some low-level check of your disk?

I guess my only option is to run it for a while and see if the problems comes back with time..