Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
i want to turn on my firewall, osx.3.8. i go to my shared folder and select firewall. it tells me other fire wall software is running on my computer and i have to turn it off first. i didnt consciously set up any other fire wall, witch makes me kinda nervous. so but the first thing i want to do it find out whats running.
i want to know how to tell what programs are running on my comp. is there an easy way to do this?

ps, i know apple/tab. im looking deeper. also if ive been hacked im also wondering if any one has any advice for software. including virus clean up/protection, anti hack (hack resistent i meen), or anything of that nature.
thanx

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
so simple. thanx a bunch.
regarding my first post, is there a way (like in windows) were you can see all the little worker bee programs running, when you press ctr/alt/del?

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
lucface said:
regarding my first post, is there a way (like in windows) were you can see all the little worker bee programs running, when you press ctr/alt/del?

/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
lucface said:
Apple-option-ESC gives you the running apps and allows you to force quit them, if that's what you're after. Otherwise, what ^^ he ^^ said.

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
great, since i got you- im trying to figure out why my downloads wont work from some places and will from others.
just recently started happening.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
lucface said:
great, since i got you- im trying to figure out why my downloads wont work from some places and will from others.
just recently started happening.

Are you just downloading from websites?

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
yes. ftp works fine. and im pretty sure its me not them. one thing that may contribute: i used speeddownload 2 for a week. it was getting anoying (trial vision) so i through it and all its folders away by doing a finder search then trash then empty. i use fire fox is there like a cache or cookies or somthing to clear? (as you can prob tell, im learning...thanx for the help)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
lucface said:
yes. ftp works fine. and im pretty sure its me not them. one thing that may contribute: i used speeddownload 2 for a week. it was getting anoying (trial vision) so i through it and all its folders away by doing a finder search then trash then empty. i use fire fox is there like a cache or cookies or somthing to clear? (as you can prob tell, im learning...thanx for the help)
Do you have problems with Safari, as well?

lucface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
yes...

I AM MOVING THIS POST BECAUSE THE SUBJECT LINE DOESNT ATRACT ATTENTION TO MY CURENT ISSUE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.