Can't Start MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SD-B, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SD-B, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

SD-B macrumors 6502

SD-B

Macbook Pro. Almost 3 years old now, Intel, Duo Core, 2.4Ghz and 4 gig Ram.

I keep it open on a stand
    Last night the hubby put the lid down but it would have still been on
    i know i can never shut it off without having to open Activity Monor to klll Mail, Safari, MailPlane and Chrome so its most likely that those programs were on...

When I saw the lid down this morning I tried to bring it up with my mouse but nothing.\Its happened once or twice before....and the hard drive was almost full so I pressed the On/Off button to stop it lagging but i guess I pressed it too long so I heard the sound of it going off

NO Fans or anything are on....

But now i can't get it to turn on again.

As I look at it, I can see that the plugged in Adaptor is showing its green light dot as it always does when its working.
    I unplug the plug from the main source, it goes off. i plug it back in, it goes on again so i can see its getting power.

When I did this earlier and tried to get it to work, the laptop was warm which is why I believe I did turn it off for now its cold but it wont go on.

Any ideas?

T.I.A.

I've seen articles that say, hold down ctrl and S and the power button but no matter how long i hold anything for its not doing anything at all ;(

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Scroll to the section about portables that you shouldn't remove the battery from on your own...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

3. SD-B, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

thanks

i did try that once before but it didn't work

i just tried it again......and i heard something........the sound u hear i think just b before it shuts down
    i don't know if it is possibly stuck on something but unless there is another step i can try and i haven't seen on

i will likely have to take it into apple but can't do that till next week and really needed it today /sighs

but at least the sound was a good sign......

have tried it a few more times but neither am i ever seen the magsafe light change or flicker nor am I hearing that sound again.........maybe there isn't any point in try any longer.........maybe it is dead

I should have mentioned I am running SNOW LEOPARD on that one---havent had time to upgrade it in case there are any issues due to that

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You don't get a chime at all?

5. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

No, nothing at all....I heard that first sound but that was it

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Bring it in to the Genius Bar then.

7. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

:(

i so didnt want to hear that but knew i was going to

Thank you very much for your help, helping me to get this going. :)

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back on what the Genius says...

9. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Good Point.
    I may have forgotten to do that had you not mentioned it.

1 further question out of curiosity if you don't mind please?

The mac was fully charged and its adaptor was green the whole time up until i heard that noise when i did that sequence. Now no colour at all. No green. No orange.
    That would most likely mean the laptop was still on until i did that sequence and then I turned it off, correct? Once it no longer showed green or orange?

tia :)

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It sounds as though the Logic Board will need diagnostics as resetting the SMC is supposed to temporarily change the color on the adapter.

11. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

I read that and yes i AM booking an appointment with the guys at apple but just for curiosity sake, the fact that I didn't hear the bells you asked me if I heard, and I wasn't able to start up the mac AND the colour of the adaptor did not change, would that not insinuate that I never actually accomplished resetting the SMC though? And if I hadn't, that would explain it not changing, I would have thought?

----------

I don't believe it but it just turned on...........waiting to see if it will go all the way on as it takes a bit of time anyhow

needs to be freshly installed but interestingly enough as i am looking at it, the adaptor is neither green or orange, just not any colour as if its not working

I just thought I would try turning it on ONE last time and I pressed on the ON/OFF button and I heard the noise of fans and a hard drive moving and IF IT GOES on completely and all is ok, i have a theory i will ask you about......

will report back

12. SD-B thread starter macrumors 6502

SD-B

Well I am not only astounded but stumped

I have 3 laptops in front of me, all doing different things.
    2 Macs and 1 Windows

That mac is 13-inch Mid 2009 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs and it seems to be running Lion 10.7.5 for now ( no great interest to upgrade it )

I knew that the battery was failing on that one. I never take it off my desk and I do try to remember to empty it once a month and charge up but its now 2014 and I guess it might have died......

Its now on and running perfectly. I am just running ONYX on it.

Anyhow i see it no longer shows a battery but since my other Mac is a similar build but a bit newer, its possible at some point i might have switched the adapters but i am not sure.
    Anyhow i just switched them from what i had this morning and the one that WAS in that Mac, WHEN i booted it up, it wasn't orange nor was it green.

But now I have it in there other mac, it shows green and the adaptor that was in that mac, I thought might not show any colour in This problematic Mac but no, it shows green in that one as well

Whether that battery has not shown any percentage before today, I can't say. I haven't noticed.
    I do all my main work on this other mac that is right in front of me but that mac I use to read the news of to the side while working in other pages on this one OR i use it to download movies TV shows etc and then run them though my apple TV from that mac so thats really all I do with that one but suffice to say, I have been backing it up, all my documents but i have too many TV shows I just wanted to watch ad delete and didn't wish to safe

So all I can say is thank you very much for your help as well as answering several questions I had and perhaps resetting the SMC had a delayed effect...LOL

But I did say I heard something the first time i did it and then nothing.....but a couple of hours later, it did boot up.........at first I thought that maybe, somehow, the power had run out so I tried changing adaptors, giving it a few mins to see if it would boot up as it was charging, but that adatpr never went orange only green.....( the original one that doesn't show any colour in it now)

So beats me what happened.................Im just grateful it turned back on LOL

:D

And so far ONYX is running and the Start Up Volume is fine ( whatever it means, I don't know but just run it anyhow to make sure its all ok )

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad to hear it is working well...