Can't start up !!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luckyhot, Sep 25, 2008.

1. luckyhot macrumors newbie

luckyhot

Hello .
    i've been looking for some real answers for this everywhere but cant seem to find any :( hoping somebody in here can help.
    so one day i turn on my mac (10.4 tiger) and it doesn't make that scratching sound anymore, just that starting sound. As i continues the mac wont load, and the screen just stays white.
    after this i tried to use disk utility to try and fix it. but when i tried the repair disk it said this:

Verify and Repair disk "disk1s2"
    error: the underlying task reported failure on exit

1 non HFS volume checked
    1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

then i got tired and tried to delete the entire thing, but it wouldnt do that either.
    then i tried to restore it, but i cant press the restore button, its all grey. (as the harddisk icon in my left hand navigation)

i cant seem to mount it either ??

so i got really frustrated and just left it there for a few days. then tried to turn it on again, and now i get this flashing folder with a questionmark. after i turned it on and off the folder dissapered, and now its gone back to the blank white screen again !! :confused:

i'll try anything by now.

hoping somebody out there can please help me !?

thanks

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

According to this article, when that error occurs you should use fsck.

3. luckyhot thread starter macrumors newbie

luckyhot

so i tried that, again and again and yet again. but i couldnt seem to be able to even get to the point where i had to type in the different letters. :confused:
    all it kept doing was showing me the flashing folder with question mark.
    and then i found an article about that at there page to, but that didnt work either, so now im kinda stuck.

im getting desperate, anything that gets me further than the white screen !!

but thanks anyways

4. eman macrumors 6502a

Flashing folder may be a bad hard drive.
    Have you used your restore disks to run disk utility?
    Have you used your restore disks to reload OS X?
    Do the restore disks recognize the drive in your macbook?

Can you swap out your macbook hard drive with another hard drive from another macbook; this will help to pinpoint the problem to the macbook HD.

5. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

there are 2 most likely causes
    1. the software on the Hd has become damaged or corrupted
    2. the Hd may have failed in either case hopefully you have a good backup. run a utility like tech tool pro and check the HD out