Can't stay connected to WiFi

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kingcrowing, Sep 14, 2011.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

So I've got an odd problem, here's the scenario:

27" iMac 2.8GHz Quad Core running OS X 10.7.1, and a netgear router (connected to a Comcast modem).

It sees the network, connects then drops the network. However, with both a MacBook Air running 10.6.8 and with a Sony Viao running Windows 7, they can connect and stay connected just fine.

This made me think that something with the iMac's WiFi card is broken so we brought it to work and connected it to our network (802.11x, WPA2 Enterprise, Cisco routers). It found the network and connected fine. To be sure I downloaded the Windows 8 Dev .iso (4.8GB, it took roughly 3hrs because the servers are being slammed today), and it downloaded fine without a hiccup.

So at this point I'm kind of confused as to what could be causing this. Anyone have any ideas?

NOTE: Could it possibly have change anything by taking it to this network, such that if we take it back home it will connect?

2. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

51 views and no responses, would this post be better in another sub-forum?

Some additional information:

The router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 and the address for any laptop in the house and my Blackberry (which picks up wi-fi) ranges between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.7 but the Mac would pick up the address for a few seconds and and drop it again and again. The router would show all devices as connected except the Mac.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This has been talked about for over two years now.

Just reset your Airport driver.

1. Turn off your Airport card in System Preferences->Network, Airport selction.

2. Go to Mac/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

3. Delete the following:
    a. com.apple.airport.prefrences.plist
    b. NetworkInterfaces.plist
    c. Preferences.plist

4. Shut down computer

5.Power on computer and immediately press and hold the following keys until you hear the second start-up chime – Command+Alt+R+P (This Reset Your PRAM)

6. Upon the boot go back into System Preferences->Network. Then at the top of the Network pane use the 'Location' drop-down to make a new custom Location (calling it what you want). Then new the bottom right of the network pane click on the 'Apply' button to save your new Location. Then turn on your Airport card and connect to your wireless network.

4. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Fantastic, thanks so much! I haven't been active on the forums for quite a while. I'm giving this a shot and I'll report back once it's back home!

5. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I had this exact same issue on an early 2010 MBP. Ran it up to the Apple Store and they did what this poster mentioned and when I got home it was working fine. This should definitely fix your problem.

6. satcomer, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just wondering has it worked for you.

7. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

The Mac would not connect at home and when I ran the diagnostics, the first message from the Airport Utility was that the system could not find the airport card. I restarted and tried again and I was able to connect to the internet. I browsed for 15 minutes and then to make sure that things would work, I rebooted again and I could not connect.

So maybe it's a hardware problem at this point, I think we're going to bring it to an Apple Store to see what they can do. Thanks for all the help though!