Can't stop iMac from Sleeping

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rhobes, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hi All-
    I'm running 10.6.8 Snow leopard. Lately, having to export video files and running conversions on them which take multiple hours to process I seem to have a problem with computer shutdown during the video conversion process.

I went into the Apple Preferences--->Hardware--->Energy Saver and set Computer sleep to NEVER and Display sleep to NEVER, locked, restarted.

After the reset the screen saver still comes on at the original setting of 5min., seeing that I assume the computer will go to sleep also.

I sit with the computer or whenever I see the screen saver come up I jiggle the mouse to wake it up. As long as I do this the computer does its job and finishes the conversions.

It's a real pain having to be right there to keep the computer awake to finish its task. Is there any way around this? How can I set the computer to stay awake? See yy sig for iMac specs-

2. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Try a SMC and PRAM reset and see if that helps.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3603

----------

If the above doesn't work, then you could try deleting the following, but obviously take a backup first:

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

Then reboot.

3. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Thanks for the replies-

I tried Fatboy 71's method first. I had previously just done the pram but not in combo with the SMC, thanks for suppling those links too (I never heard of SMC). I had unplugged before too but not disconnecting all peripherals.

Well, it's working now having done this.

I will keep that app handy from "tug's" reply if this doesn't work in the long run.

Appreciate the help and the fixes everyone!!