Can't stop it going to sleep

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kinkster, Mar 6, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I just bought a Rev. B Macbook Air from ebay, used but in good condition. Since it's been used for a couple of months they would have noticed any problems it might have. They seem quite trustable(member on macrumors actually) so I don't think they're hiding anything. So assumable it's a software problem, since they wiped things out to their defaults before shipping it.

The problem is that the computer keeps going to sleep after only a second or two. At first I didn't have this problem, for a couple hours in OSX. Then the next minute I woke it from sleep and in a couple of seconds the screen went out and it went to sleep again. So I woke it up, and again it went to sleep. When it wakes up it flashes a blue screen for a second before fully waking.

I tried restarting, didn't help. I booted into safe mode and the problem was gone. While in safe mode I made sure the energy saver preferences were set to the default. Rebooted normally and the problem was still there. Also tried resetting the PRAM, didn't help.

I was thinking its probably a hardware issue(sensor for if the screen is closed or not) but that wouldn't match up with the previous owner not having the problem, and the problem disappearing in safe mode.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Create a new user and see if that account has the problem.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Overheating? The only reason I say is that I just helped tell a colleague to hoover the kg of fluff in his PC.
    Some diagnostics at an APple store may be the easiest - people here could suggest tools to try beforehand.