Can't surf the web!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dingo Dave 69, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

I turned my macbook on today in my house and it won't let me connect to the internet. It finds my network and says it is connected but Safari just loads up saying it cannot connect to the internet.

I also get a message on screen saying:

"192.168.0.1 in use by 00:18:4d:16:b8:d0"

My windows PC connects fine and so does my iphone. I tried unplugging the router and plugging it back in and I tried restarting the mac but its still not working. I also tried firefox on my mac but its the same message. Nothing has changed on my macbook. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

Cheers :)

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

IP conflict, there is another device on your network is using that IP.

what if you disconnect all device and try your MB alone?

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You should just set a manual IP address for your Mac. It looks like the Mac is trying to use the gateway IP which is a big no-no.
    Go to System Preferences>Network>Advanced>TCP/IP tab and set DHCP auto address, to DHCP manual address and type in a new IP in the format: 192.168.0.xx (pick a two digit number, 25 is a good one). If that doesn't work, try using a 1, instead of a zero in that address. (192.168.1.xx)

4. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

Genuis!

Thank you for that, worked perfectly! Any reason why this would occur?

Cheers mate, I love these forums! lol

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Good stuff, I don't have a good reason for why it happens but the Mac does generally pick the first IP it can find. If for any reason the router was off when the Mac looked for an IP would make this happen. Very rare occurrence from my experience.

6. goldaline macrumors newbie

goldaline

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

I have a somewhat similar problem to Dingo Dave's. However, my IP address works fine (192.168.1.106). The problem is that internet pages only load half way and it stays that way. The whole page won't load. In the system preferences it says Airport is connected but programs like iChat and Messenger say that there's no internet connection. :confused: