Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
Sumter,SC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is anyone else on iOS 5 not able to sync there custom ringtones??

Munchkinsdad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Mine were synced. I did have a problem with all my vids but after playing with sync settings in iTunes, they decided to work... may be a glitch.

armoman92

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
same here, i can't sync my ringtones, or they aren't showing up in settings...

Anybody know a fix?

armoman92

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Fixed!!

ok, it's easy to fix, just create a new ringtone in iTunes 10.5 (i used the .m4r method from the ACC clip) and sync the ringtones again. All the previous tones also sync

khhussain

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Fixed!

Unchecking and Checking "Sync Ringtones" Solved the Issue.
Thanks for the Post and suggestions...

synchro505

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Sync ringtones does not appear at the top bar when the iPhone 4 is selected in my iTunes 10.5 - tried deleting preferences, re-installing iTunes, restoring my phone (as a new iPhone) but no luck. Also tried turning off and on ringtones in iTunes general preferences.

The ringtones appear in grey in the Ringtones list on the iPhone but are blank on my iTunes list of ringtones (will not appear even if dragged). They will not sync or appear in my iPhone 4.

I created these ringtones by converted to AAC (30 second sound effect) and removing the .m4a and making them .m4r - This technique worked perfectly when my iPhone 4 was running iOS 4.

This is so weird. Have not been able to use custom ringtones since updating to iOS 5. Any ideas?

antstorm

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
This is so weird. Have not been able to use custom ringtones since updating to iOS 5. Any ideas?

none of the above worked for me since Thursday ive been trying and trying got so mad i deleted them off Itunes i added them to a new folder in a different location to where they where originally , i then re added them to itunes and resynced now i have all 72 ringtones back plus as a bonus i have some that are there that are a minute long , with the previous version as you know they wouldnt sync over 30 sec or so :D

Eternaloptimist

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Fixed!!!
I had several custom Ringtones which were .m4a files downloaded (bought!) from iTunes store, then changed to .m4r and previously dropped in Ringtones folder. They then disappeared both from the iPhone 4 after the iOS 5 upgrade and also from iTunes....
This worked consistently:
1. Go into Preferences and unhide the Ringtones folder.
2. Go to iTunes store and under "Purchased" (right column) re-download the Ringtone if bought from the store - will reappear in the Music folder with the .m4a extension. Obviously if using another .m4a file this will be in the Music folder. You will not be able to drag it to the Ringtone folder (well... I couldn't!)
3. Drag the .m4a file to the Desktop then DELETE it from iTunes.
4. I then used dBpoweramp Music converter to convert the file to .wav then back to .m4a. This seems to strip any blocking info from the file.
5. Change the extension back to .m4r
6. Drag to the Ringtones folder - it will now add!
Good luck!
EO

gemmyjo87

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Trouble with syncing ringtones

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I have also had trouble with my ringtones since updating the software. I followed some advice on here, un-checked 'sync ringtones' and synced, and then ticked the 'sync ringtones' and synced again, and woooo... it worked! Thanks for the advice :-D Was about to cry at the thought of having to re-purchase my ringtones.

**Thank You** :)[/FONT]

MacKat1776

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Another Setting Preventing Sync of Ringtones

:apple:You also need to make sure you don't have "Manually manage music and videos" checked, as this will prevent you from being able to see the ringtones tab in iTunes.

That just resolved my issue, but I am new to the iPhone, but not iTunes. :D

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
:apple:You also need to make sure you don't have "Manually manage music and videos" checked, as this will prevent you from being able to see the ringtones tab in iTunes.*

That just resolved my issue, but I am new to the iPhone, but not iTunes. :D

That's rubbish. I have it checked and I can see it perfectly fine.*

If you don't have the Ringtones tab then just go into pretences and make sure it's ticked there to be shown.*

Rob912

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
where is ringtone folder in the mac ?

Got a 4S this week and my custom ringtones are not synching.

I have unckecked, apply, sync, re-checked apply and sync and the tones are not coming over.

I see the ringtone listed in iTunes, but where is the folder for ringtones on the mac?

Thanks
Rob

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I see the ringtone listed in iTunes, but where is the folder for ringtones on the mac?

Control-Click any listed ringtone and select "Show in Finder". Should put you in iTunes/iTunes Music/Ringtones.

My one custom ringtone (yeah, I'm boring :) syncs fine; I'm not doing anything special.

lowrider12

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
I was finally able to fix this by some combination of:
* starting iTunes in "safe mode"
* editing preferences, telling it not to sync ipods/ipads/etc.
* connecting iPhone, clicking on the phone icon, clicking "tones" at the top
* then twice: checking the box that says "sync tones", answering <CANCEL> to the question about wiping out my entire phone

unpredictable

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2011
Query

I have upgraded my iphone4 to ios5 and have restored all my music and customised ringtones.

They are all on my iphone4 but can't asign any of the ringtones to particular numbers. When I asign them, they don't work.

What can I do? Please help

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I have upgraded my iphone4 to ios5 and have restored all my music and customised ringtones.

They are all on my iphone4 but can't asign any of the ringtones to particular numbers. When I asign them, they don't work.

What can I do? Please help

Uncheck Sync Ringtones in iTunes, sync the device, then recheck and resync. Should fix the problem.

stam66

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Uncheck Sync Ringtones in iTunes, sync the device, then recheck and resync. Should fix the problem.

This worked for me, except for 1 stubborn ring tone that wouldn't sync. When i looked under 'Tones' in the iPhone menu on the left disclsure triangle in the Devices section (rather than the top row menu), there was an exclamation mark next to it.

I fixed this by changing my sync settings to 'manage manually' in the summary page, deleting the ringtone on the iPhone from within the left column in iTunes, then restoring it to automatic sync and re-syncing.

hope this helps,
S.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
This worked for me, except for 1 stubborn ring tone that wouldn't sync. When i looked under 'Tones' in the iPhone menu on the left disclsure triangle in the Devices section (rather than the top row menu), there was an exclamation mark next to it.

I fixed this by changing my sync settings to 'manage manually' in the summary page, deleting the ringtone on the iPhone from within the left column in iTunes, then restoring it to automatic sync and re-syncing.

hope this helps,
S.

You're welcome. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.