Can't sync movie!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tigercat212, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Tigercat212 macrumors regular

So, I downloaded a .avi movie but I changed the file name to .mp4 and imported it to iTunes but when I select it to be synced to my iPod Touch, I can select it but it's grayed out, and it doesn't sync. Can someone help me?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The videos need to be made into an iPod/iPhone Version. You can follow these directions to do so:

1) Import the video you want into iTunes by clicking File>Add to Library
    2) Select the Video you just Imported in the Movies tab. (If you already have the video in iTunes then you can skip step 1)
    3) Click Advanced>Create iPod/iPhone Version.

3. Tigercat212 thread starter macrumors regular

I did that and I got the audio to come in, but now there is no video, just a white screen with the audio. Help?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Possibly because iTunes doesn't officially support .avi files, merely changing the extension to .mp4 doesn't convert the actual file.

Download Handbrake for free (http://handbrake.fr), and run the .avi file through that. There's an iPhone preset that's always worked for me, iTunes and your iPhone should recognise the new file.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I missed that he did that.

6. Tigercat212 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! It worked perfectly! :)

7. iphonehk macrumors member

Sounds stupid but I can't get mine to work syncing. Handbrake has a few codecs: H.264, Mpeg-4 (Xvid) and Mpeg-4(ffmpeg). The converted file comes out as a .m4v extension. Does not work with my iphone but works fine on itunes movie. Strange but I managed to convert it easily previously with my PC. Am new to mac and know nothing much about it so any help would be appreciated.

8. iphonehk macrumors member

Problem solved. Had to play around with handbrake a few times to get it to .mp4.

9. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Use the iPhone/iPod Touch preset next time. :) All my DVD's that I convert to are m4v. by default Handbrake selects Normal and I forget to change to iPhone sometimes so that the video size it scaled properly. :)

10. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

For an .avi extension, simply changing the file names won't help.

I use iSquint - it's freeware and relatively fast. It takes approximately 15 minutes to convert a 700MB .avi to .mp4 and it offers immediate syncing to iTunes so it eliminates the extra drag / drop step.