Can't sync ringtones *and* manually manage music?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ramparts, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

I was shocked yesterday to discover that all my music on my 3G had been deleted. After a bit of playing around (and a failed attempt to reupload the music!), I realized that everytime I check "Manually manage music and videos" (as I prefer things), it unchecks "Sync ringtones" on the Ringtones tab, and vice versa. The bad news, of course, is that when it automatically unchecks "Manually manage", it unceremoniously deletes all of my music. Whoops. That explains my music disappearance; two days ago I'd gotten a new ringtone, and rechecked "Sync ringtones" to get it.

What I'm wondering is, is this normal, or is there something funny going on? It seems kind of reasonable that it can't sync ringtones but manage music manually, but it's a bit fishy that iTunes doesn't warn you beforehand. Thanks!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iTunes apparently considers ringtones to be "music," so you can't manually manage one but sync the other. I'm a bit surprised it didn't warn you before delating the music off your iPhone, maybe you could try resetting all iTunes warnings (can't remember where it was in the menu / preferences, but root around and you should find it). If you want to manually manage your music, then you should also add your ringtones manually to your iPhone. Just drag the ringtones into your iPhone like you'd do with your music.