Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
I started using Apple's Music streaming service. When I was trying to sync an album purchased in the past from iTunes Store to my iPhone, I received the following message:

"Some of the files were not copied to the iPhone because iCloud Music Library is enabled on this phone"

Only a part of the album was synced to the iPhone with a few songs left out. I'm really puzzled and frustrated: I can't put on my iPhone songs that I bought from the iTunes Store because I'm using Apple Music? This does not make any sense at all.

hwhb3r.jpg

Otelm

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
It works in a way similar to iTunes match. If you want those tracks stored locally in your phone, you'd have to download it using music in your phone (make available offline) rather than sync it using the cable. Otherwise you can stream them.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
I never had iTunes Match, so I had no idea this was going to happen. Judging by the fact that iTunes Match existed in this form for a long time, I should not expect any improvements with iCloud Music either.

The situation is completely messed up: Now everything that has a match on the iCloud, has to be downloaded from the iCloud only. I can't even upload Apple Lossless files to my iPhone, because iCloud Music has matched them with low quality files on the cloud.

So, my only choice is to say goodbye to iCloud Music Library and the entire Apple Music streaming service. If I can't save files for off-line use, I don't see a particular value in it. I spent a lot of time and money building my music library. Apple Music would have been a nice thing to have in addition, but I'm not going to substitute my carefully organized and customized library for a generic experience.

Last edited:

pjh

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Airstrip 1
I started using Apple's Music streaming service. When I was trying to sync an album purchased in the past from iTunes Store to my iPhone, I received the following message:

"Some of the files were not copied to the iPhone because iCloud Music Library is enabled on this phone"

Only a part of the album was synced to the iPhone with a few songs left out. I'm really puzzled and frustrated: I can't put on my iPhone songs that I bought from the iTunes Store because I'm using Apple Music? This does not make any sense at all.

hwhb3r.jpg
This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever experienced from Apple. Restricting your device to iTunes syncing or the cloud seems to serve no useful purpose other than being a right pain the arse.

My mobile network speed fluctuates significantly and I often have no network when commuting. So I sync my whole library to my iPhone (4,500 songs). Some people might think this in unnecessary, but it's how I like to carry my music and I have the space available (128 gb iPhone). On signing up to Apple music, it promptly wiped all the songs as they were already uploaded using iTunes Match, no offer to merge or anything. That really made my day!

I found the workaround of having a playlist of all my songs and then making it available offline. But it seems rather silly to have to download my entire library to my iPhone, when it was on there to start with.

This little gem was a real pleasant start to using Apple Music!

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Agreed with everything said here. I'll add that I work in the music biz and I get demos/album cuts/album advances/etc that I cannot upload to any cloud service for security reasons. This 'feature' vexes me.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
This is one of the most idiotic things I have ever experienced from Apple. Restricting your device to iTunes syncing or the cloud seems to serve no useful purpose other than being a right pain the arse.
Just disable iCloud Music Library on all your devices.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
So, my only choice is to say goodbye to iCloud Music Library and the entire Apple Music streaming service.
No. You can still use Apple Music, but turn off iCloud Music Library on your phone. Then sync to your heart's content, while still being able to listen to Apple's music library on the go.

Reactions: AmmasAmar

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
No. You can still use Apple Music, but turn off iCloud Music Library on your phone. Then sync to your heart's content, while still being able to listen to Apple's music library on the go.

You can't save songs for offline listening, add songs to playlists, or add songs to My Music if you turn off iCloud Music Library. That's a huge hit to the experience.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You can't save songs for offline listening, add songs to playlists, or add songs to My Music if you turn off iCloud Music Library. That's a huge hit to the experience.
Oh. I thought you could. So what can you do with iCloud Music Library off, just stream?

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Oh. I thought you could. So what can you do with iCloud Music Library off, just stream?

Yep. You can stream everything and listen to the radio stations. Since AFAIK the radio stations will remain free, I'm finding very little reason to pay the 9.99/month. Hopefully Apple will fix iCML or separate it from AM before the trial ends.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
For now I decided to turn off iCloud Music when I need to sync something from my iTunes Library (usually an Apple Lossless file), and then to turn iCloud Music back on after syncing is done. Unfortunately, turning off iCloud Music wipes out all Apple Music content downloaded for offline listening, so you will have to re-dowload it again. The whole experience is very awkward and disappointing.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
No, you have to buy them the old-fashioned way.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Yep. You can stream everything and listen to the radio stations. Since AFAIK the radio stations will remain free, I'm finding very little reason to pay the 9.99/month. Hopefully Apple will fix iCML or separate it from AM before the trial ends.
How do you separate iCML from AM (beyond what can be done today which is to make AM the streaming and discovery service and iCML the library that collects your pics from the discovery and streaming part)? Would you want iCML to be separate from your existing library, ie, have two libraries (the one based on your files, ripped or purchased, and the one based on 'saved' music from AM)? Two separate libraries where a given song might be in both libraries or only in one but unless you remembered this for every song, you wouldn't know which library a given song might be in?

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
How do you separate iCML from AM (beyond what can be done today which is to make AM the streaming and discovery service and iCML the library that collects your pics from the discovery and streaming part)? Would you want iCML to be separate from your existing library, ie, have two libraries (the one based on your files, ripped or purchased, and the one based on 'saved' music from AM)? Two separate libraries where a given song might be in both libraries or only in one but unless you remembered this for every song, you wouldn't know which library a given song might be in?

Two separate libraries that appear as one to the customer, allowing music to be played across libraries seamlessly (FYI this is totally doable, not a pipe dream). This way a customer can have one or both enabled. AM is the first library. iCML is the second library, and if iCML is disabled, the local music stored on the device is the second library. This way AM songs are never mixed in with music you own (so the system can never get confused and think your music is AM music), you can always view the libraries separately or together, and you can tell what's what in iTunes by the same column they're using now to tell you matched, AM, or uploaded. Items downloaded to the device would still be identified the same way they are now (or more accurately, ideally), so there'd be no confusion about what's there or not there, regardless of which library it's attached to.

This would allow customers to use all of AM without iCML or without wiping their personal libraries just to avoid uploading all their music (and having it FUBAR their personal libraries). It would also allow customers who want to sync their music the usual way to do so, and still be able to use all the parts of AM.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Two separate libraries that appear as one to the customer, allowing music to be played across libraries seamlessly
Which is exactly what the current implementation of iCML already does. It appears as one library to the consumer but internally music files are labelled whether they come from Apple Music or from other sources.

This way a customer can have one or both enabled. AM is the first library. iCML is the second library, and if iCML is disabled, the local music stored on the device is the second library.
I don't understand what you mean. There are two general sources for music: a) the one you are renting (ie, have added to 'My Music' from Apple Music) and b) the one you own (ie, the rest). iCLM is the umbrella that combines both together to make them 'appear as one to the customer'.

Could you try to explain again what system you are would like to see?

This way AM songs are never mixed in with music you own (so the system can never get confused and think your music is AM music), you can always view the libraries separately or together, and you can tell what's what in iTunes by the same column they're using now to tell you matched, AM, or uploaded.
So, the only thing you want is a 'column' in the Music app on iOS that shows whether the music is 'rented' or owned? Or do you want that on the Mac, 'rented' and 'purchased' music appear in separate folder structures? Which means you want to give the programmers at Apple advise as to how they should organise the internal structure of the data storage to make it easier to write a program without bugs?

Items downloaded to the device would still be identified the same way they are now (or more accurately, ideally), so there'd be no confusion about what's there or not there, regardless of which library it's attached to.
So you mean your suggested system works exactly as the current one, just minus the bugs?

This would allow customers to use all of AM without iCML or without wiping their personal libraries just to avoid uploading all their music (and having it FUBAR their personal libraries).
So, your suggestion here is that the current system wrecks havoc with the existing iTunes library by design?

It would also allow customers who want to sync their music the usual way to do so, and still be able to use all the parts of AM.
The moment the user has to look at every song to see whether it will be automatically available on iOS devices or whether he or she has to make a decision on whether to sync it, I don't think we can talk anymore about a library that appears as one

I am fully with you that having an ability to set in iTunes which songs are stored locally on a (synced) iOS device would make things much easier (even if that is completely optional, ie, you can still do exactly the same on the device itself if you so prefer or don't even have a computer).

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
It's pretty simple. I would like to see a system in which I can use ALL the features of AM and never have to touch that bug-ridden freak show of a mess that is iCloud Music Library.

I disagree with what you think is already in place. What's in place is a nice idea that has no chance of working right without a full overhaul. You keep talking about iCML as if it isn't full of bugs when it is. As if people haven't had their own music seen by the system as AM music (which can ONLY happen because the two are integrated, which they are). As if I haven't had my files deleted from my hard drive because AM and iCML decided they were AM and didn't belong to me. You're talking about what you believe Apple meant to build, I'm talking about what Apple actually did build. And regardless, there's no possible way to use all of AM without iCML, which by definition means they're integrated.

Beafftt

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
If you intend to transfer music from iPhone to iTunes library .The first thing you should download iTunes on your computer from Apple market .Then you have to do connect your iPhone on computer .Next open iTunes ,so easy to transfer iPhone music to iTunes library.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It's pretty simple. I would like to see a system in which I can use ALL the features of AM and never have to touch that bug-ridden freak show of a mess that is iCloud Music Library. I disagree with what you think is already in place. What's in place is a nice idea that has no chance of working right without a full overhaul. You keep talking about iCML as if it isn't full of bugs when it is. As if people haven't had their own music seen by the system as AM music (which can ONLY happen because the two are integrated, which they are). As if I haven't had my files deleted from my hard drive because AM and iCML decided they were AM and didn't belong to me. You're talking about what you believe Apple meant to build, I'm talking about what Apple actually did build. And regardless, there's no possible way to use all of AM without iCML, which by definition means they're integrated.
I am not sure what you mean with AM without iCML. Two separate libraries, ie, one with the songs you 'rent' from AM and one with the songs you 'own'? Or just the current concept of integrated libraries but without the bugs? It is not that iCML is systematically replacing all songs in your iTunes library with versions from AM, so it certainly isn't a design decision to do so (otherwise it would replace them all). Which means when a replacement happens, it is a bug.

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
Agreed with everything said here. I'll add that I work in the music biz and I get demos/album cuts/album advances/etc that I cannot upload to any cloud service for security reasons. This 'feature' vexes me.

Same. This is really annoying. Writing this post to follow up if there's any new solution iOS 10/iOS 11?

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
Same. This is really annoying. Writing this post to follow up if there's any new solution iOS 10/iOS 11?

Yes! There is a pretty decent solution now: the Flacbox app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flacbox-flac-mp3-music-player-audio-streamer/id1097564256?mt=8. I came across it just a couple of weeks ago.

It plays Apple lossless and Flac. It keeps music files on your iPhone separately from the Music app and Apple Music Library, so you can keep using Apple Music and upload and play your lossless files through Flacbox.

Uploading files to Flacbox is also super easy. You can use Dropbox and similar services, but there is actually a better way. On my Mac, I set up smb file sharing for the folder with music files through "System Preferences/Sharing". Now whenever my iPhone and Mac are on the same wifi network, from Flacbox on my iPhone I can browse my music collection on my Mac and import files into Flacbox wirelessly.

The only problem I see so far with Flacbox is that its library does not sort properly songs in albums with multiple discs: first come all tracks 1, then tracks 2 and etc. For some reason it does not read or use metadata which contains disc numbering. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon, but in the meantime I address this problem either by creating playlists in Flacbox, or use Flacbox Files interface instead of its Music Library. Other than that, the app is awesome.

Duff-Man02

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Is there any update on this? I had used the trial period before and didn't renew afterwards. I had forgotten my gripes with AM and got a month subscription a few days ago. It's super annoying that I can basically only stream without bricking my own library with iCloud. Is there any way to at least mark and list songs that I liked for later? The only list I see is the history tab.
Playlists are impossible without iCloud. Downloads are also impossible, but I could live without, if I could somehow mark songs.
If not, I won't renew.

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015

This almost. Turn off iCloud music library, sync with iTunes, then reenable iCloud music library. I just went through this mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.