Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squareball

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
I've searched the forums but can't seem to find if anyone else has this problem so here goes.

I have around 90gigs of movies and tv shows synced to the AppleTV. It seems that if I'm syncing a movie or a TV show and I go down stairs and use the AppleTV to watch a TV show that's already synced that the syncing of the new movie/tv show stops. So basically, I can be 90% of the way through syncing a movie but if I use the AppleTV at all the sync will stop and restart again once I'm done using the AppleTV.

Is this normal? It seems odd that I can't use the AppleTV and sync at the same time.

BobC

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2007
Providence, RI
Yes, it's normal.

The AppleTV needs all its resources when displaying HD content, so temporarily suspends network activity (and syncing) until the video is finished. Note that the AppleTV can sync while playing music, audio podcasts, and the viewing of pictures.

Squareball

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
Thanks. Follow up question. If that's the case, how does streaming work? Wouldn't it have to shut off the network connection while playing back the data it has streamed so far thus making streaming impossible without stopping for 2 minutes every minute or so?

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Thanks. Follow up question. If that's the case, how does streaming work? Wouldn't it have to shut off the network connection while playing back the data it has streamed so far thus making streaming impossible without stopping for 2 minutes every minute or so?

No, it is able to stream the video continously.

Kevin

Squareball

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
No, it is able to stream the video continously.

Kevin

That's what I would think (although I don't have much success streaming, it buffers a lot). So how come it can stream constantly but it has to turn off the net connection while watching a show causing me to not be able to sync while using the device to watch video? I just don't get it.

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
That's what I would think (although I don't have much success streaming, it buffers a lot). So how come it can stream constantly but it has to turn off the net connection while watching a show causing me to not be able to sync while using the device to watch video? I just don't get it.

Well it is conservative in its usage of network and other resources such as memory and disk usage. The last thing you want is for video playback to stutter or stall. This is especially important for high def content.

Kevin

rulerofthemoon

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
play music and it will still sync

Must be a resource issue since you can sync photos, music or movies while the Apple TV is playing music.

tomacintosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Well it's quite simple, if you're trying to read a large file off a hard drive while simultaneously trying to write a large file to it, you're going to run into problems keeping the video running smoothly. One or the other has to give way.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Well it's quite simple, if you're trying to read a large file off a hard drive while simultaneously trying to write a large file to it, you're going to run into problems keeping the video running smoothly. One or the other has to give way.

Indeed, let's not forget that the :apple:TV uses a 2.5" laptop drive, those aren't known to be incredibly fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.