Can't tell if express is working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fishimedic, Aug 23, 2009.

1. fishimedic macrumors newbie

Ok here's the set up. I've got a mini and MB, just trying to upgrade from an older Linksys G series router. Took the linksys completely out of network. Went out and bought an Extreme BS and an Express. I can get the Extreme up and running no problem. It's in the basement with a signal of -74 when reading is taken on the first floor. I want to extend this signal quite a bit out to the garage so I can have itunes out there.

I go into airport, tell the express to extend the signal. Nothing happens. Half the time it errors out on restart. I've been dealing with this for the better part of the Sunday. When I say nothing happens. I get no change in signal strength when measured at the same spot. Plus most of the time, when I go back into the express setup, it reverts back to 'create wireless". I do have allow extension selected on the extreme. I've got automatic settings on the extreme. I'm just trying to get it work on one network.

any ideas or guides? I've been searching forums for most the day

Oops the express is on the first floor (I'm planning on getting another one for the garage, but first I need to be able to get the signal out there)

2. fishimedic thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Ok the mini doesn't do N, it a coupe of years old. the macbook does. I now have 2 networks showing up. a regular and 5 Ghz. We also have 2 iphones. I'm just trying to get some sort of signal out to the garage so I can manage the itunes on the mini from the garage via the iphone remote (works fine inside the house). Garage is about 100ft away. All standard wood framed house.

3. SqB macrumors 6502

The Express will only extend one of the networks, either the 2Ghz or the 5Ghz, but not both simultaneously. If you're trying to extend the signal for the benefit of the mini, make sure that your express is boosting the 2Ghz signal.

Other considerations...

The signals don't do well from one floor to another. They also don't do well if you have insulated walls. I have a foil and vapor barrier on the inside of my exterior walls and it pretty much kills the signal outside.

You might want to try, if you haven't already, setting up the express in the same room as the base station. Make sure it works in there (green light) and then move it further away once you've confirmed it's working.

4. fishimedic thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, that helps a bit, I've even tried taking one of the express' outside. Can I assume that the extreme is always transmitting both signals? I see two of them on my radar. I'm going to try setting both express's to just the 2.5

5. fishimedic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that didn't work.

So here is where I am.

Extreme is basement, it hits the MB and mini just fine. I set both express' to just 2.5 (I think, they didn't have a 5 Ghz after them). Since the mini wont do N, I set the MB to just the regular (no 5Ghz). I set the extreme to a/b/g (I think). What I'm trying to do is sacrifice speed for distance. I'm trying to maximize the 2.5 even if it means turning of the N. I have one express plugged in outside the house, and I'm trying to get it to hit the other about 100 feet away.

6. SqB macrumors 6502

So let me see if i have this...

1 AirPort Extreme in the basement sending signal out to...

1 AirPort Express inside the house (this part is working?, green light?) trying to send out to...

1 AirPort Express outside the house that will send to (when it works)

1 Mac Mini in the garage

So its the getting outside of the house part that's the problem?

7. fishimedic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, maybe I'm not doing the best describing the setup.

Extreme in basement (feeding house (MB and mini))
    express main floor (purpose to send signal out to garage)
    express garage (receive signal listen to itunes when working garage)

trying to get signal out to the garage, the house is fine with just the
    extreme. I would like to have an express inside the house send a signal out to another one in the garage. I have even tried taking the one (express) and plugging it on an outside outlet to see if that would hit the garage.

8. SqB macrumors 6502

Got it. I think that you might need to change the configuration. The Express doesn't seem to have nearly the range of the Extreme. In practice, it seems to be about half. You know you've gone too far if you don't get the green light. It can "hear" further than it can "talk" too, so you might be able to see your network with the express, but it might be too far away to keep a good connection. I found out that I actually can't extend my network with an express from the other side of the house because it's too far and now use a second Extreme to fill in over there. This is a distance of only about 40 feet.

If it's an option, you might want to try to move the Extreme as close as possible to your garage and see if you can get a 1-hop connection from there.

9. fishimedic thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's good to know about the range of the express. I've got one other thing that I can try. I have an out building with power (about 1/3 of distance away from the house) and I can put one express in, and see if that will hit the garage. If not, I think I may be out of options, in which case I'll end up burying a line (or 4 for expansion, I still have hopes about internet TV really taking off) to the garage. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Thanks for the help, I just thought that those express' were a bit more powerful than that.