Cant transfer apps to phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ~Lukasdp, Feb 12, 2011.

1. ~Lukasdp macrumors newbie

HI everyone, I noticed this just the other day and I can seem to figure it out.

My Apps page in Itunes is greyed out and I cant navigate and add new apps from Itunes.
    Sync Apps is unchecked and if I check it I get a warning saying it will erase all apps on the phone and replace it with the ones on Itunes. I don't want to do that as I will loose all the modified data within the apps. (Game progress etc.) And I don't know if that will fix the problem, plus all the apps on the phone are the same as the ones on the computer so I would not gain anything from that anyway.
    I used to be able to change the order and remove apps from this page and now its greyed out. Any Ideas?

Restrictions on the phone are set to OFF.

thanks everyone.
    ~L

Attached Files:

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

What apps does iTunes show if you click app in the left pane?

3. ~Lukasdp thread starter macrumors newbie

it shows all of them without issue only it wont let me drag and drop them into the phone. (for example I recently deleted DOOM from my phone but now I cant put it back on the phone)

thanks for the fast reply!

Attached Files:

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Ok, you said that restrictions are set to OFF in the phone, and I imagine that the single restriction to allow apps is on, but you might check it to make sure.

Attached Files:

5. ~Lukasdp thread starter macrumors newbie

yes thats right mine is exactly as your screen shot indicates.
    should it be set to something else?

6. aaaaaaron macrumors regular

same problem here, i can't sync my apps on the phone to my itunes or it will delete all the apps from my phone. so i am also interested knowing how to fix this.

7. JamesMB, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

No, it should be set to on.
    For whatever reason, the data on your phone is not matching what is in iTunes.
    You may wind up loosing your app data, but you can try this first.

Connect your phone to iTunes, RIGHT click on your device in the left pane, and select download purchases. That should copy the apps that are on your phone into iTunes.
    After you transfer purchases, select the apps tab in iTunes, and arrange your apps however you want the and then sync your phone, hopefully that will fix it, and your app data will remain on your phone.

Since sync apps, is off in iTunes, I really don't know if a backup, before you transfer purchases, will do any good, but it probably isn't gonna hurt anything either.

8. ~Lukasdp thread starter macrumors newbie

ok im trying it now. Sync in progress. worst case scenario is I have to do the first three worlds of MYST all over again!

9. ~Lukasdp thread starter macrumors newbie

ACES!
    It works and I still have all the app data. The transfer purchases thing was the trick. Do that first and the app that gets reloaded is the most current one.
    thanks a million.

solved.

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Great! Glad it worked...