Can't transfer file over 2.45gb to external

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GoCubsGo, Jun 27, 2008.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The saga of the external drive continues. :)

I have a WD MyBook 400gb drive connected via USB to my AEBS. Looking through the files it would seem that I don't have any files that exceed 2gb so maybe that is why I've never ran into the problem. I have a 2.56gb file that I need to transfer but when it gets to 2.45gb it just hangs. I let it hang for about 2 hours while I worked on something else, but it just didn't transfer.

Is this a sign that the drive isn't formatted correctly?

Because it's seen as a "sharepoint" I can't see it in disk utility (if someone says I can tell me how) so I can't tell how it is actually formatted without having to unplug it and connect directly to my computer.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Unless you have formatted it, it's most likely formatted for Windows. Perhaps that's the issue?

Any reason you can't detach it and see?

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Unfortunately I think you'd have to attach it directly to your computer and try moving the same file via local USB to determine if it may be a formatting problem. Doing this should also allow you to investigate the drive using disk utilities. I have a similar 320GB drive I've used for my Time Machine HD for a few months now without issue and transferring 2-6GB files but I did format it when purchased to reclaim some "PC use only" packaged programs space. If yours is already able to R/W up to 2.45G, formating shouldn't be an issue. Not having any AEBS experience, I can't comment on any issues w. its file transfers.

I have had problems with some flash drives not handling large files. It's always been the drive that's the problem.

Good luck with this one!;)

4. !on macrumors member

slightly o/t but i did this with 15gb's worth music from pc to mac using ipod as external storage.

ipod was windows format. with pc i deleted itunes library & moved all files into ipod h/d (disk mode). then hook up to mac. macs can read win ipod. dump files into mac. after that i got itunes to format it to mac.