Can't transfer files to external hard drive? "Error code -36"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Veritas&Equitas, May 16, 2007.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Hey all. Got a new external, transferred a bunch of info to it last night. Today, try to do the same with a 700 mb .avi file, and it won't let me write to it.

I formatted it to HFS+ originally yesterday, but today, I can take all the files I want OFF of it and put them on my MBP hard drive, but can't write to the external without getting an "error code -36" then it ejects, loads back up again, but still can't transfer any files TO the external hard drive.

I ran Disk Utility, there was a volume cap error or something, repaired that, and now it says it's fine, but still can't transfer files TO the drive. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated guys! Thanks!

2. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Alright, figured it out. In case anyone else comes across this problem.

I had my external hooked up to a Belkin USB 2.0 hub, and then to my Macbook Pro. Once I disconnected it from the hub, and plugged it directly into my MBP, it works just fine.

Might be a bad connection with my hub, not enough power through it, or it doesn't like writing that kind of throughput back to the external. Anyways, that's what fixed it for me!

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Probably a power issue. Glad you got it working though :)

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

5. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I actually bought two, the one in question is one that is a 250 gb Seagate with a Venus enclosure.

The other is the 500 gb MyBook Pro which is on its way right now; so huge, so sexy, so Mac-like :)

MacWorld review

PC Mag review

Newegg has it for $193 shipped, great deal.