Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Can't transfer files TO external WD HDD

cursedearth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
I've recently purchased a rMB and even though I'm having no problems transferring stuff from my HDD, I'm not able to copy/paste files onto the HDD from my rMB

I've had the HDD for more than a year and have used it without any problems on my Windows PC/laptop. No issues transferring files to/from the HDD when connected to a Windows device, however, when I connect it to my rMB I can transfer files to it but not from it and onto the HDD.

Appreciate if anyone could help out with this.

jonny123LP

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Ulm, Germany
Is the hard drive formatted with NTFS? OS X can't write to NTFS drives by default. You need to format it with another filesystem (like FAT32 or OS X Journaled) or you need some 3rd party software to use your NTFS drive with your mac. I use Tuxera NTFS for example.

cursedearth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Is the hard drive formatted with NTFS? OS X can't write to NTFS drives by default. You need to format it with another filesystem (like FAT32 or OS X Journaled) or you need some 3rd party software to use your NTFS drive with your mac. I use Tuxera NTFS for example.

The format shows up as NTFS. If I were to format the HDD to FAT32 wouldn't that mean losing all my data? Taken me a while to set up the files on my HDD the way I have .

jonny123LP

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Ulm, Germany
Yes, reformatting means you lose all your data. And even if you format the drive with OS X Journaled, you can't use it with Windows, and if you reformat to FAT32 you can't have files larger than roughly 4GB on there. So I definitley would go with software like Tuxera NTFS or Paragon NTFS. There is also a free option called NTFS-3G. I haven't tried that though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.