Can't type "genre" on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atagar, Mar 2, 2009.

1. atagar macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but a long time reader of macrumors. I just want to ask you a simple question: Can you time "genre" on your iPhone? I mean, in one shot, without erasing and retyping? When I try, the letter r after the gen is locked... and can only type the e... that is really strange. That is the only word that seem to cause a problem.

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

There are quite a few words posted in the forum that has the same problem, but I never thought "genre" is also included (just tested and it won't let me), though using backspace and typing r again works but it's odd you can't type it all the way on a first try for a word which is common.

3. atagar thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I did a little search, it seems that this problem is very common... At least it actually correct it.

4. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

yah same problem on mine, are there any other words that cause that?

5. atagar thread starter macrumors newbie

Goose on the english keyboard. It actually work in the french one.

6. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It's not a problem it's a feature.

Seriously.

The touch zones of each key are dynamically adjusted to represent what it is you are likely typing. After typing 'gen', the most likely letter next where you press is either 'e' or 't'. Try it - type gen, then hit and hold 'r'. You can't - slide left and right while holding and you'll see that 'r' has no touch zone at all.

This is fixed by the autocorrect - once you hit e next, it can THEN sense you might want 'genre', so it will automatically fix this.

People think that the iPhone touch keypad is just that - but it's way more smart. It's not jsut spell checking, but checks the layout of the keyboard in mind as well. The idea behind the iPhone is to 'just type' and 9 times out of ten, it will result in the correct thing.

8. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Well, for me it "locked" the R so I couldn't hit it, resulting in the word "Gener" but that was automatically corrected to "genre" when I hit the space bar, so no matter what I get the word I was looking for.

9. siorai macrumors 6502

No problem typing genre here. I do have auto-correction turned off as well as having the 5-row keyboard installed though.

10. iMarc845 macrumors member

iMarc845

Correction off: No problem

I had no problem entering either "Genre" or "genre". I do have auto-correction turned off but unlike the previous poster (siorai), I don't have the 5-row keyboard installed.

11. jbode macrumors member

It would be impossible to give every suggestion that you want, but it would be cool if it suggested words that you use most often, not sure if it does?

12. markel253 macrumors regular

same here

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Similar for mine -- it came out as "genee" but autocorrected to "genre."

14. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, same here. It is very amusing - but in fact for me it also shows the excellence of Apple's auto-correct that you end up with the right word if you just trust it and keep typing. (Unless you're a little bit off when you might get 'genet', a small african cat-like animal :p)

I've been very impressed with just how good their auto-correct is in the year I've had the phone, I have learned to trust it almost without looking.

Unless I'm typing in French, when it corrects it all to English words !!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

15. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

when in doubt, always use the backspace key and type it(backspace stops it from auto-correcting the word).

16. rayward macrumors 68000

As Steve J said all along, just trust the software folks! I don't check the words as I type, but I go back and proof read everything before hitting send. It's quicker, because the software has almost always auto-corrected for the word I want. As people have said, to get "genre" you just type "genre" and ignore the intermediate keyboard shenanigans because it'll catch on in the end.

The only word I used have trouble with was "golf", as the F and D are right next to each other. When I went for the F (typing fast) it would take the D for "gold". I've simply learned to err on the G side of the F, and the F goes in every time.

17. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

yep. i get "gener" which is corrected to "genre".

18. Mr. Owl macrumors newbie

Mr. Owl

I would never have noticed this. You pointed it out and I started playing a bit...

I found that before I read your post. Bizarre way to program a keyboard.

19. The Admiral macrumors member

The Admiral

not really. on a quality computer keyboard, there are semi-sharp edges on the keys, guides to keep you on home row, and tactile and auditory feedback as the key is actuated (in addition to the character appearing onscreen). the keys are also approximately the size of an adult human's fingertips, so it's difficult to press the wrong key unless you're really inebriated or not paying attention.

in order to fit all those keys on a small touchscreen, with almost no tactile feedback, and only optional auditory feedback, something is needed to compensate for the limited precision of the human finger when typing at speed. since basically everything you type is going to be in some sort of language, it's natural for the input system to compensate for errors on the basis of well-known principles, such as the existence of words in a prechosen lexicon or probabilities of bigrams and trigrams in your chosen input language.

incidentally, the same principles are useful in cryptanalysis.

20. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I've gotten this before with (not real) words like "Macbu", but I wouldn't think it would do it for such a common word like gene.

21. Acronym macrumors 68000

Just goes to show (Cr)apple hates French :p no but seriously it is weird how it does that I have five row qwerty installed and it does the same thing.

It also does this with chatroom

22. jeremykyle macrumors regular

My iPhone lets me type "genre" with no problems. I even spelled it wrong on mistake, and it even auto-corrected it to "genre."

23. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It doesn't do it with gene. We are talking about the word 'genre'.

24. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Genre genre genre goose.

Works on my iphone I guess.

Sean

25. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Is that..... Is that you Mac Bot?

:p