Can't Type in TextField

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by CaptainZap, May 29, 2008.

1. CaptainZap macrumors regular

I created a NSWindow subclass and all I did was add this method (You can probably do all this without subclassing it but it works)
    Code:
    - (id)initWithContentRect:(NSRect)contentRect styleMask:(unsigned int)aStyle backing:(NSBackingStoreType)bufferingType defer:(BOOL)flag
    {
    	self = [super initWithContentRect:contentRect styleMask:NSBorderlessWindowMask backing:NSBackingStoreBuffered defer:YES];
    	return self;
    }

In the .nib file I added a Window with a textfield and made all of the connections. When I run the app the window is drawn without a title bar but you can't edit or click on the text field... Anyone have any idea why?

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You might need to tell your window subclass to use the text field as the initial first responder:
    Code:
    [myWindow setInitialFirstResponder:myTextField];
    Dunno, just guessing really...

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Okay. I'm just starting out here with Objective-C and from reading up last night what you're doing at the moment is redundant in initWithContentRect. If initWithContentRect is a function in NSWindow then just call it directly and do not override the function like you have done.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why are you creating an NSWindow subclass? I've never done so myself...

5. CaptainZap thread starter macrumors regular

Becuz i r bad prgrammer =D. But really I was just messing around and was trying to make a window without a titlebar. Anyone know a better way to accomplish this?

But I'm calling the super function of it... It works. I'm just trying to figure out the textfield...

Look, I'm not that crazy xD http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/RoundTransparentWindow/listing6.html
    And that even answered my question, all I needed to add was this code to my subclass
    Code:
    - (BOOL) canBecomeKeyWindow
    {
        return YES;
    }

6. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

True, it does work. But since you're not doing anything else or special in that function it's not needed because your class inherited it from NSWindow.