Cant understand how to extend network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GRuizMD, Apr 20, 2015.

1. GRuizMD macrumors regular

Hi all.

I have an ATT modem in the second floor connected to the ethernet switch(?) distributing the signal throughout the house via ethernet cables. The reason to be in the second floor of the house: it was designed that way.

I want a wireless network, I have an Airport extreme Time capsule that I connected to the outlet of the first floor in the family room and I can configure wireless signal using the Airport utility.

The wireless signal is weak in the second floor of the house. So I bought an airport express, thinking that connecting it to one of the available ports of the modem it would extend the network.

But here is where I get confused:

Should I set the AExpress to Broadcast a new network with the same name and security settings so the devices will jump from one to the other? Should I set it as an extender? I don't understand. Can someone explain like a 4 year old?

The apple instructions seem to show that the ethernet wire should go from the Airport extreme time capsule to the Airport express, but that is impossible in my current setting.

Thanks. Im desperate trying to understand this.

GR

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I understand your issue. The "Extend Over Ethernet" functionality is only automatic when using AirPort Utility 6 with the Express behind the Time Capsule. You surely can plug in the Express and set it up using identical network names, security, and other settings. Only change the base station name. Unless you live in a wirelessly-congested area, I recommend leaving the channels set to automatic for both. Since the modem is handling routing, both AirPorts should be in Bridge Mode.

3. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks. Will then connect the airport express in the second floor to one of the available ports of the modem and using AirPort Utility have him create a second wireless network that will broadcast the same name and will use the same security.

I hope I got it right.

Thanks.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Exactly. The modem should be handling routing in that scenario. Use the same security, password, and network name and you are golden. Do not give the 5 GHz network a separate name on either one, as it would disable roaming between the two base stations.

5. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

mmm. I actually did assigned a different name to the 5Ghz band before!! that might explain the erratic behavior I got.

THanks, Will set up and report the success.

6. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Can you tell us what ATT device you have - you are calling it a "modem".
    If it is a UVerse router there are two ways to set things up:

1. let UVerse router be the main router. Then just connect both Airport Extreme and Express to an ethernet port and let them create a wireless network with identical SSID's, WPA2 security and password. Disable UVerse router WIFI
    disadvantage: some advanced features like wake up on LAN does not work (i.e. ATV wakes up your MAC if it wants access to music/video library)

2. You configure the UVerse router to put your Airport Extreme in the DMZ (google search with your Uverse equipment type). This will be your main router and connected via WAN port to the Uverse device. Everything else will be connected to the LAN ports of this router.
    Connect the Airport Express via ethernet to the AP Extreme. Configure both the AP Extreme and Express WIFI with identical SSID's, WPA2 security and password.
    Advantage: all apple features work seamless.

Should your ATT device really only be a "modem" then use configuration 2 above (disregard the DMZ remark).

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Definitely report back with the results. Separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks sometimes causes roaming issues.

OP stated that he is unable to run Ethernet from the Extreme to the Express due to the current wiring configuration.