Can't uninstall istat Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by puma1552, Aug 3, 2009.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

This is pissing me off. I dragged it from the Library/Widgets folder to the trash, but I can't empty the trash because istat pro is in use. HOW do I stop the stupid program so I can uninstall it???

I do NOT want to install an application uninstaller--not interested in installing programs just to uninstall others.

The internet is not showing me any results for this.

2. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

do you have it running in the dashboard??? try pressing the plus button and pressing the X then try deleting

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

It's running in the widgets that show up when I press F4. I tried what you said but to no avail...it's already in the trash, and doesn't show up anywhere in finder, but it still shows up running in my widgets, which since there's seemingly no way to stop it I can't delete it from the trash.

4. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

im pretty sure if you reboot your computer it should stop running... theres probly a simpler way to do this but im used to pc hahah

5. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

This should work, try it.

If not.

Terminal:
    killall iStat (or whatever its called)
    or
    ps -ef | grep iStat
    kill -9 PROCESSID

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

No matter how I enter it, iStat, iStat Pro, iStat pro, istat, istat pro, istatpro, iStatPro, whatever, it doesn't work--says "no matching processes belonging to you were found"

I did the + and the x, and nothing happened...whether I do them in succession or together nothing happens, the program just keeps on running in the widgets. God I hate widgets.

"arguments must be processes or job ID"

7. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Did you try this?

1. Reinstall the iStat Pro widget.
    2. In Dashboard, hit the (+) plus sign and then (x) on the widget.
    3. As the other built-in widgets show up on the bottom, click on the widget that says "Widget" next to the "Address Book" widget.
    4. Find iStat Pro in the list of widgets and press the (-) delete button.

8. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Awesome, thank you! Finally worked.

What a wretched program, no more junk like that going on this computer.

9. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

:eek: i love istatpro haha

10. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Glad that worked. But to let you know iStat Pro is one of those widgets that almost everyone I know enjoys and works well. What was the problem with iStat?

11. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I realize it's popular, but I just found it to be clunky/junky as I find all widgets. TBH, I'm surprised Apple installs such widget junk from the factory.

I just don't find it terribly useful. I have SMC up top monitoring fan speeds and CPU temps, and pretty much anything else I need to know I can just look up in system profiler. I don't do anything intensive so while the extra temp monitors in iStat Pro are nice, they are largely useless.