Can't unlock software to throw away

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vivaeast, Jan 2, 2011.

1. vivaeast macrumors newbie

I put Windows Media Player in my trash to throw away. When I attempt to empty my trash can, I am informed that all the files in the software are locked and therefore I can't throw away the software. When I open the info box on the software, it says it isn't locked. And when I tried to drag the software out of the trash and onto my desktop, it copied itself so then I got another version of the same software.
    I'm sure there is something simple I am doing wrong, but I don't know what it is. If anyone knows what to do I would be grateful.
    Thanks.:)

2. rien333 macrumors regular

First make sure that Windows media player isn't running. Look into your activity monitor (It is located in /aplications/utilities) and quit every progress which has to do with Windows media player. Then empty the trash. If that didn't work then make sure that Windows media player is not in your startup items (Check this by opening system preferences, then go to accounts and will see a tab with "startup items" ) . Now reboot and empty the trash.
    If the steps above didn't work I would recommend trying to delete it with a application uninstaller ( This is a good and free one: http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/
    )
    If all the things above didn't work then please post that they didn't, there are still a few more extreme things you can try but I don't really recommend.

3. vivaeast thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Rien333,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I tried everything you suggested.
    1) it wasn't in the activity monitor
    2) not in the start up items
    3) i downloaded the freemacsoft app and tried to use it. When I dragged the unwanted WMP into the freemacsoft app, all it did was make a copy of the WMP. So the title of it became, Windows Media Player copy. When I did it again it copied again (Windows Media Player copy copy) etc...

Perhaps I could trash all of my Windows Media software and download them again later.

Anyway, very nice of you to offer your help.
    Thanks again.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

One more thing to try: Hold the Alt/Option key while emptying the Trash :)apple:+Option+Shift+Delete on a Mac keyboard is the shortcut).

5. vivaeast thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi wrldwzrd89,
    I tried what you suggested, but once the trashing process started it was the same as before. I am told that:
    The operation cannot be completed because the item"wmphelp.htm" is locked.
    Then the trash goes through every item in the software. I have to keep on pressing continue to complete the trashing process.
    I appreciate your suggestions. This isn't life or death of course, but it is confusing.
    Thanks.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Log out and back in (or reboot), then try my suggestion again. If Mac OS X thinks the stuff you're trying to throw away is in use, which will prevent normal trashing, this will make it no longer in use.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Have you tried using "sudo rm -rf" from the terminal?

8. vivaeast thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi to all,
    Thanks again for the assistance with this issue.
    Sydde, what is the "sudo rm -rf"? I'm a bit of a novice.
    All the other suggestions haven't worked out, but I haven't given up hope.