Can't unmount drive from internet recovery

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Verge, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Verge macrumors newbie

Title sums it up. I've tried everything, i just want to format my mac mini. This is pretty ludicrous. How do i stop whatever is on the boot drive so I can format it? There is only a single drive in this mini, wont' unmount through the utility or through diskutil in terminal.

I just want to use my mac !!!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Just repartition the drive and format. That's all you need to do. You can unmount because the internet recovery is running from it.

3. Verge thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't repartition it because it won't unmount. Can't reformat because it's in use/won't unmount.

It's a catch-22. I guess if the internet restore is running off the drive that kind of make sense, but how on earth are you ever supposed to do a clean install over the net? I guess it's USB or nothing?

I got frustrated and popped an SSD in last night, don't have time for such nonsense.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP:

You are finding out why a wise Mac user ALWAYS keeps on-hand a second, external, fully bootable drive. It can be a clone of the internal drive, or just ANY drive that has a bootable copy of the OS on it.

Do this, and tasks such as a reinitialization and/or restoration of the internal drive become easy-as-pie ...

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to clarify, are you in recovery or Internet recovery?

Internet recovery is a command-option-r boot and downloads the recovery utility into memory so you can completely format the drive without getting that error.

If you did a command-r recovery, that is running off the drive based recovery partition and will cause the error you mentioned.