Resolved Can't "Unpartition" help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KUguardgrl13, Oct 17, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Specs: Mid-2009 MBP 13" 8gb RAM 500gb HDD was running Mavericks on one partition and Yosemite PB on the other.

Basically I deleted the Yosemite PB partition and tried to add it back to my main partition before I update to the Yosemite public release, but Disk Utility will not let me expand the main partition after deleting the Yosemite one. It's not a huge deal since it's a 100gb partition out of 500gb, but since I no longer plan to run the public beta alongside the public release, I'd like to regain the space on the main partition.

Please no advice about staying on Mavericks or getting an SSD. This is my secondary machine along with a mid-2013 rMBP, so it doesn't need to be the latest or fastest hardware. I do want to keep it secure, and it ran the PB just fine for a 5 1/2 year old laptop. I'd also rather update this one first since it's not my daily driver. Then I'll know when it's safe to upgrade the rMBP.

2. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Resolved! Went into single user mode following these instructions and was able to expand my main partition. Hope this can help anyone else who might have the same problem!