Can't up date Lions last version My version is 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hugobezerra, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hugobezerra macrumors newbie

I can up date to lions and the system says that my system is up dated already, but how is possible if it is 10.5.8 and to install Lions need 10.6.8 ????? What should I do?????????????????????????

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You aren't on a non Intel Mac are you? A non Intel Mac can't run 10.6 and you can't install Snow Leopard or Lion unless you have an Intel Mac.

I just checked on my wife's old G4 Mini with all the latest software updates and it says she is at 10.5.8.

3. Hugobezerra thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for you help my friend

4. Hugobezerra thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you tell me in deteails what means a "Non Intel Mac"?

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

A mac which does not have an Intel processor. Specifically it would have a PPC processor. Click the :apple:, then choose "About this mac". It will tell you which processor it has.

6. simsaladimbamba

You also have to BUY Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, it will not show up in Software Update when you have 10.5.
    If you bought your Mac before 2006, it will be a PPC Mac, if you bought it (new) after 2006 (including 2006) it will be an Intel Mac (most likely, as there still have been PPC Macs being sold in that year).

7. Hugobezerra thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought in December of 2008.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If you bought in Dec 2008, it is quite possible you have an Intel Mac and can get Lion. Right now the only way I know of to get Lion is to get Snow Leopard first so it would cost $29 for a Snow Leopard DVD, then you sit through the updates to get the app store then you pay $29 in the app store to get Lion and sit through a 3.7 gig download. I would wait to see if Apple provides a direct path from Leopard to Lion before spending the extra $30. I've heard you can get Lion in an Apple store via some sort of "local download" but again I doubt they have worked out the kinks to go from Leopard to Lion because there was a "migration assistant update" that had to run on 10.6.8 before I was able to install Lion. If there is a migration assistant update for 10.5.8 in the next few days or weeks, that would be a strong clue that Apple is working on a direct migration path from Leopard to Lion so they can sell to those users who opted to skip Snow Leopard.

9. Hugobezerra thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your explanation my friend... and as I will be in NYC next month, I will buy this Snow Leopard and up to there hope apple have finished working on a direct migration path.