Can't update anything

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SpookTheHamster, Aug 9, 2007.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm using my iMac in OS X for the first time in ages (my modem only works in Windows, and I don't like having two computers turned on often). I saw that there was an iWork 08 demo, so I downloaded it. It told me I needed to update OS X and Quicktime so I fired up Software Update. All it found was an iTunes update, which I installed anyway.

I'm on 10.4.9, so I should need 10.4.10. I went to the support site and downloaded it, but it doesn't show any volumes that it can install to. My hard drive apparently "doesn't meet requirements".

What's going on? Is there anything I have to do to sort it out?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. What sort of iMac do you have? The combo update is released in twofold; one for PPC machines and one for newer Intel machines. Did you get the appropriate one? :)

3. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

17" C2D. I've tried both the delta and combo updates (obviously the Intel ones).

When I try to install the QT update, it says that it can't update my language.

edit: when did you start showing your "real" location? I've been away for a while.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Interesting. Have you used any apps that get rid of excess system languages or architectural information such as Monolingual?

Good question... Been using it for a while. :)

5. SpookTheHamster thread starter macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I did use Monolingual to remove some languages, and also removed some printer drivers. I was hoping that wouldn't be the cause of the problem, because then I'd have to reinstall OS X. Would reinstalling OS X have any affect on my XP partition?

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No - an Archive and Ihstall should be safe
    (back up your important data first)