can't update apps on App Store because...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ryubyss, May 22, 2014.

1. ryubyss macrumors newbie

ryubyss

I started using a previously owned MacBook Air. I created a new account for myself and most aspects of App Store work fine but... I wanted to update a (free) app which the previous owner had DL'ed. App Store will not permit me to do this without his password. I do not know of a way around this.

help?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is no way around it. You either need to download the app yourself from your account or you need to go without using the app. If it is free then download it yourself on your system using your own login.

3. ryubyss thread starter macrumors newbie

ryubyss

I would, but you see, I can't. it has his e-mail address on the form to the left and I cannot write there.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Log out and log in as you. It is that simple.

5. ryubyss thread starter macrumors newbie

ryubyss

I do not have the option to log out. App Store allows me to get updates of apps I (not he) bought but when I tried to update a free app which he had DL'ed, it gives me no option but to use his Apple ID password which I do not have.

so, App Store apparently expects me to log out as me and log in as him, but I can't because, as I said, I do not have his Apple ID password.

ideally I would simply just DL that app as me, but it will not allow me to do so.

I hope that makes sense?

6. nicky0 macrumors member

Here's what I would try:

1. Sign out of the app store ("Sign Out" in the "Store" menu)
    2. Delete the app in question (by dragging to trash)
    3. Sign in to app store using your own Apple ID
    4. Search for the app in the store and install it

I think that should work. The thing is you need to "buy" the app on your own account. After this, you should be able to update it no problem.