Can't update from Mac App Store / Disk Utility not repairing permissions

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iHenry, Oct 14, 2012.

1. iHenry, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

iHenry macrumors member

iHenry

I can't update some Apps I bought from the Mac App Store.

I bought these apps before updating to the last 10.7.5 but I am not sure when this problem started happening as I was not getting any messages for updating anything for a long time, which made me suspicious and check with certain Apps like Pixelmator what their last version was, and that is How I found in the "Purchased" apps section that there were plenty of them with the Tag "Update".
    When I try to do so, I get this message " You have updates available for other accounts. To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it. " , which is impossible because I do only have one Apple ID account that I used to buy all my apps with.
    Does anyone know how to solve this?
    I tried deleting the apps, login out and in again to the MAS, but nothing seems to work.

Not sure whether this may be related to the problem or not but I am also having a problem with repairing Disk permissions, it shows lots of them, says they have been repaired, but on any subsequent run of the Disk Utility, it shows over and over again the same permissions as not being repaired, and re-repaired again, apparently the Disk Utility is actually doing nothing!
    Any inputs or Help about this?

Thank you!

2. iHenry, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

iHenry thread starter macrumors member

iHenry

After reading even more posts about it, it seems that it might be related to the Spotlight Index which makes me suspect that this another 10.7.5 's infamous Spotlight related issue not solved with the small Time Machine update. I have tried with Terminal commands to disable Spotlight but I get this:
    " Error: unexpected indexing state "

Does anybody have any inputs or ideas on how to solve this or the Disk Utility not repairing permissions (described in the previous Post), please?

3. iHenry, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

iHenry thread starter macrumors member

iHenry

A Fix for Spotlight, but other problems still there.

For anybody experiencing the same problems, I could partly fix the Spotlight by excluding the Hard Drive from it and including it again. When I first tried to do the same it wouldn't let me do it but for some reason it finally worked after several tries and restarts. Time Machine seems to work fine now.

I do still have a problem with the Mac App Store not recognizing some available updates for my only account there.

And I am still having problems with not being able to fully repair permissions on the HD with Disk Utility, it even looks like there are more to repair now. Don't know why. Is this common or a "bug"?
    These two articles I found recently are really good about Disk Permissions and how it works:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963
    https://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448?locale=da_DK

Any inputs appreciated.
    Thanks.

4. HenryAZ, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I have encounted the "you have updates available for other accounts" ever since Lion was first released. For one reason or another I had disabled Spotlight each time, and enabling Spotlight again (on the boot drive) always fixes it. I don't recall ever seeing it on Snow Leapord, but that may have just been fortunate circumstance, too.

5. iHenry thread starter macrumors member

iHenry

From one Henry to another one,

HenryAZ : Thank you very much for your reply.

Just to clarify, I am using Lion 10.7.5, not Snow Leopard in a MBP 13" early 2011.
    I have been using Lion since its release date (a mistake, I know), before that everything was fine.
    I had never disabled Spotlight before, in fact I learned how to do it these days and after reading quite a bit about it, because in the beginning it would not let me.
    I noticed the problems with the Mac App Store updates very recently, and even after re-enabling Spotlight as described on my previous Post, yesterday I bought another App and it showed as not updated 5 minutes after installing it (together with the many others), the App Store now lets me update them but the next time I check or refresh, the page shows the exact same Grey button indication for updating those already-updated Apps again.
    I hope this helps in finding out what is originating the problem.
    Thank you.

6. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Same here, Lion 10.7.5. I tend to disable Spotlight before installing major software/updates, and then forget to turn it back on as I don't use it all that much. I have encountered the "you have updates available for other accounts" issue since Lion 10.7.0, however. It is not a new problem here. Turning Spotlight back on has always fixed it for me. Sorry I cannot offer more suggestions.

7. iHenry thread starter macrumors member

iHenry

Thank you again.
    Just one question:
    How do you turn Spotlight on and off? What way do you do it?

8. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I usually just use the Terminal commands:

sudo mdutil -i off /
    sudo mdutil -i on /

for the boot volume.

You can read the manual page for mdutil for all of the options:

man mdutil

sudo mdutil -as
    will give you the current indexing status for all volumes, for example.