Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
So I just got the iPhone 11 Pro. And as the Apple gods would have it, I need to have 10.11.x to access the new iPhone from iTunes (which also had to be updated). My current (and stable, and I’m happy with it) setup is 10.10.5, was running iTunes 12.6.7. Which updated my old iPhone X to 13.1.2 with no issues, and I was able to access it.

So now, I have to upgrade my Mac OS to 10.11.x. I have a copy of El Capitain, from an previous download when it was still available at the Apple Store. I boot into another drive with 10.11.6 already installed (let’s not go there for now, lol). I run the 10.11.6 installer on the 10.10.5 startup drive. It seemed to go through the process. Though it went pretty fast. It then gave me the message that my computer had to be restarted. Mac Pro 2010 restarts. But when I check the startup drives, the drive I supposedly installed to, was still 10.10.5.

I even rebooted back to that main drive, and installed directly from there. When my computer rebooted, instead of booting to an upgraded OS, it booted to the El Capitain drive I installed from the previous time. And the main drive was still 10.10.5.

Is there something I’m missing. I’ve updated my Mac a number of times in the past with no issues. This is the first time I’ve run into this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Note: The reason why I don’t just use the drive with El Capitain on it already, is because all the apps, settings, and configurations are on my main drive. It would take quite a bit of time for me to reinstall and setup everything all over again. I just want to be able to access my new phone.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Why not use the Migration Assistant to import all your 10.10.5 settings to the ElCapitan drive?
Thanks! I totally didn't even think about that way. Just have to find time to migrate. El Capitan drive is currently being used as a storage drive I work off of.

But it still doesn't answer the question of why I can't update Yosemite to El Capitan. Never had any issues updating in the last 3 decades using a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.