Can't Update iPhone(s) to 4.0.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jason221, Jul 18, 2010.

1. jason221 macrumors 6502

For some reason, I am unable to update or restore my iPhone 4 or my spare 3GS to 4.0.1. I keep getting this error message after it goes through the "Extracting Software" and "Backing Up iPhone" steps:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how to get past this? The iPhone servers shouldn't be busy, and it was saying this a couple days ago, too. I've tried restarting the computer, hard rebooting the 3GS, switching the USB cable to a different port, switching to a different cable, and restarting my router, but nothing seems to be working.

I can connect to the iTunes store just fine, and it does this both on my account and another account.

This is frustrating. Any ideas?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try using another computer to update it to.
    Seems like its having a network issue and communication between the apple authentication servers and your phone cannot be established so it wont let your iphone restore. Maybe turn off your firewall or antivirus software if you have them running.

3. jason221 thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems strange that it would be a firewall issue, since I've always been able to update and restore in the past. I'll try updating on another computer and post back.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, give that a try.
    Not sure whats blocking the communication but seems to be an issue somewhere.

5. jason221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, apparently iPhone 4 only works with OSX 10.5.8 and above, so my other computer didn't help. This sucks.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh yeah, you gotta update your system and itunes version.
    Sorry.

7. jason221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, so updating to iTunes 9.2.1 didn't help. Neither did uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. I don't even have firewall enabled, and no 3rd party security applications running. I've always been able to restore and update in the past.

The only thing I can think of is in the troubleshooting on Apple's website it mentions to open some ports, like 80 and 443. But it also mentions to allow access to a couple websites. One of the websites was phobos.apple.com, and another was gs.apple.com, I believe. How on earth do I allow access to these websites? I couldn't find anywhere to put them in the Airport Utility (I have an airport extreme).

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very weird situation.
    You dont have another computer to do a quick restore and then you will still be able to sync it back to your original itunes library.

9. jason221 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not running 10.5.8 or above, which iPhone 4 requires. Oh well. I don't really need 4.0.1. I just hope this goes away by itself somehow :eek:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, 4.0.1 is a waste anyway.
    Just a slight change of the size and height of the bars that would be displayed on the top left.
    I didnt bother with it either.

11. jason221 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's the weirdest thing! I added this line "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" to the /etc/hosts file per the instructions of this article that is for downgrading to previous versions of iOS if you have your SHSH blobs saved. Now it's working!

Edit: Uh oh, got some 1004 error... heh... nevermind. I give up.

Edit 2: The phone went into recovery mode. When I used Umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode, the bars look different now so apparently it worked. :p