Can't update Jailbroken iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RyanSmith20, Oct 16, 2011.

1. RyanSmith20 macrumors newbie

If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.

My jailbroken iPhone 4 is currently running 4.3.5 (8L1) won't let me update it. If i try to restore the iPhone (via iTunes) or try to update to the new IOS 5 it just says ""The iPhone Joe Blogg's iPhone cannot be restored at this time because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable""

Now, I assume that if i am able to unjailbrake my iPhone, then ill be able to just simply update as normal. Ive seen a few threads about SSH or something, not sure what that is, but from what ive read if i havent previously done something with them it makes things harder, well i havent done that with those, whatever they are.

If someone could instruct the easiest way for me to Unjailbrake my iPhone that would be great

Thanks

Ryan

2. james92se macrumors 6502a

The error message you describe, to me, seems to indicate an Apple server problem (overloaded? temporarily down?) and not necessarily an issue with your jailbreak.

I've had alot of iTunes error messages over the years with JB phones but never seen the one you describe.

3. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

It is possibly an error because your hosts file is edited to perform a lookup from Cydia for the SHSH files rather then apple. See if you have anything in your itunes referencing a gs.apple.com

4. armadillo macrumors 6502

The problem is most likely your hosts file. You could edit it through Terminal.app or you can use a very convenient app:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29949/gas-mask

It will open your hosts file and let you edit it. In the hosts file, locate the following line:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

and delete the line or comment it out like this:

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Save and you should be able to install iOS5

5. RyanSmith20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response Armadilo, i have read something similar to what you've instructed so that's brilliant thanks, im actually using a pc, not a mac. I know this is MacRumours but thought that it would be also for pc users, using iPhones? Is there a PC alternative that you know of that will do the same.

Thanks for all the replys,

Ryan

6. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

Load up a command prompt and do: nslookup gs.apple.com

If it shows the IP address that was listed above, you will need to edit your hosts file in windows. It will depend on what version you have to do that.

7. f00f macrumors 65816

nslookup is going to talk to DNS servers, not his hosts file.

RyanSmith20, your hosts file is likely in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can just open that in Notepad and edit it according to the previous post by armadillo. Look for a gs.apple.com line in there and "comment it out" by putting a # character at the beginning of the line. Save the file and exit Notepad.

I'm not certain but it may be necessary to flush your DNS cache as well. Open a command prompt and execute: ipconfig /flushdns

8. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

It will only query the DNS servers if the entry isn't in the hosts file. That is why it is added there because it overrides the DNS server.

9. RyanSmith20 thread starter macrumors newbie

hi,

Thanks again for the reply,

When trying to save the hosts file it says that i dont have permission to do so and to contact the administrator, who is me :S

I went into the properties of the folder and took the read only off it, so not sure why it wont let me save it.

Is there any way around this, like saving it elsewhere and manually pointing iTunes to it somehow?

Thanks

Ryan

10. f00f macrumors 65816

You're on Windows 7 I'm assuming? If so, click the Start button and in the little box there type notepad but don't hit enter. Instead, Notepad.exe should be listed in the menu directly above that box. RIGHT-click on it and choose Run as Administrator. You may have to click Yes again or whatever when the lame-ass User Access Control prompt comes up. Just do that. Then using Notepad's File menu, open the hosts file, make your edits, and you should be able to save.

11. armadillo macrumors 6502

To edit the host file in Windows, Click Start – search for “Notepad“, right-click and select “Run as Administrator“. This should launch notepad with elevated privileges. Now, open the host file from the File menu, edit and save.

12. RyanSmith20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys and thanks once again for the help,

Ok so, I finally managed to edit the hosts file and get past this error. However in doing so i now have a new issue that i'm facing.

it no longer gives me the initial error, instead in gets about half way through and then says "The iPhone Ryan Smith's iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occured (3194)"

When you click more information it gives you the same guidelines as given before with the previous issue.

What could i do to fix this?

Is there anyway i can just restore the phone on the phone without bricking it? I just want rid of the Jailbrake so i can move forward, any ideas?

Thanks

13. jicka macrumors member

I had different error code I think but when I restored my iPhone 4 to sell it the other day I just had to get tiny umbrella and start TSS server on it then open iTunes back up and it went through no problem.

Did the same thing when updating the phone like 8 months ago. I think it validates through cydia instead of apple this way.

14. RyanSmith20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again,

thanks for the messages,

I re-used TinyUmbrella and seem to have had a bit of a mare for talking pursposes.

I seem to have put it in the (connect to iTunes state) Recovery mode, my tinyunbrella wont let me kick it out, the buttons grayed out.

What can i use to kick it out of recovery mode (Windows)?

Thanks

15. jicka macrumors member

Just try going into the advanced tab - click start TSS server - open iTunes - restore.

That's worked for me every time. If it doesn't work try unchecking the set hosts to cydia box and restore without tiny umbrella running