Cant Update Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xHighTimes, Jul 12, 2015.

1. xHighTimes macrumors newbie

Hi,

I can't update my macbook at all, I will try to download the update and it says update is downloaded, then it wont let me install, saying that I need to quit all applications and try again. Even when doing this, it still will not let me update.

Any solutions ? I have an older white Macbook with software on 10.6.8

Thanks !

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Reboot the Mac and then try to apply the update before opening any applications. By the way this is a software issue and has nothing to do with the MacBook hardware.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Can you tell us what update are you trying to install?
    Perhaps your MacBook is too old to go beyond 10.6.8, the highest version of Snow Leopard.
    The oldest Macbook, from 2006, cannot go beyond 10.6.8... (?)

Other than reinstalling the combo update for 10.6.8, an update for a later OS X won't install before actually upgrading to that later version first.

4. xHighTimes thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried what you said and it still didnt work, is there any way I can show you guys screenshots of whats happening ? Im new to this site.

5. xHighTimes thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not know what is trying to install, it does not tell me. I also do not know how old my laptop is, I only have just gotten it this year.

6. xHighTimes thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way that I can find out how old my macbook is ?

7. c55 macrumors regular

c55

While on the desktop, Click on the Apple logo on the top left corner, click the About this Mac, and it will tell you what model year it is. it says either "Late 2011 MacBook" or "MacBook Late 2011" can't remember off the top of my head which way it goes. But that will tell you which year it is.

8. xHighTimes thread starter macrumors newbie

It does not say anything like that but I did take a screenshot of the problem.

Attached Files:

9. xHighTimes thread starter macrumors newbie

If that picture does not help, I went onto system profiler and took a screenshot as well.

Attached Files:

10. c55 macrumors regular

c55

It's a 2009 MacBook. Should run Yosemite
    Edit: I'm not exactly sure what is trying to download. I don't think it's an apple update. What 3rd party programs are on it?

11. xHighTimes thread starter macrumors newbie

Now do I have to go onto Apple and download that ? Or should it be able to update itself ?

12. c55 macrumors regular

c55

Should be in the Mac App store as a free download

13. xHighTimes thread starter macrumors newbie

I am downloading Yosemite right now, if I have any more problems, I will post soon.

14. xHighTimes, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

xHighTimes thread starter macrumors newbie

To all the users in the thread:

My problem is now resolved, I would like to thank all of you for your time and help with the situation on updating my Macbook. Now running Yosemite 10.10.4, computer is a little slow, but not bad. It works awesome now !

Thank You Everyone !

15. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can get some improvement by upgrading your RAM memory.
    Your mid-2009 Macbook can be upgraded up to 6 GB. Even 4GB will be very noticeable.
    And, then, replacing the hard drive with an SSD will give you your best improvement, particularly now that you have upgraded to Yosemite.