can't update my iphone4 from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3 HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rebekaahx, Jul 7, 2011.

1. rebekaahx macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 isn't jailbroken or anything, but i can't update it, i've tried restoring but i keep getting the same message:

"The iPhone "xxxx" could not be updated. This device isn't eligible for the request build."

i really don't know that much about iphones and all the technical crap that goes along with it. so help pls. it's driving me crazy. and please make the answers as simple as possible, i'm not smart. TYTY <3

2. jman240, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

jman240 macrumors 6502a

Do you have a good backup. You can try a DFU mode restore.

Your virus checker / firewall may be blocking the activation server or the hosts file could be. Have you ever used TinyUmbrella?

Check your hosts file

On Mac, open terminal app, type the following without quotes "more /etc/hosts"
    If there are lines that mention apple.com, you will need to edit them out.

On windows its under C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

more info here http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unl...e-youre-tearing-out-your-hair-check-here.html

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

4. rebekaahx thread starter macrumors newbie

no i'm not in the states, i'm in the UK on orange network. and yeah i downloaded it a while back for my old iphone i think it was to jailbreak it or something but i never did it.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

It added entries to your hosts files. Delete the entries, (use link I posted) and that should fix it.