Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
I'm trying to use software updater to update to Quicktime 7.4 but it says I don't have appropriate access privileges. I am the admin user on my machine. Why can't I update it?

Stormbird

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
I'm having exactly the same problem - is it a general glitch ? I'm trying to update on my MacBookPro - haven't tried on my power pc Imac yet.

Stormbird

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
QT 7.3 updates fine on my Power PC iMac G5 but not on my Intel core duo MacBookPro - weird

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Have you tried downloading the QuickTime update from Apple's download page and run the .mpkg installer?

Stormbird

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Thank you

iCeFuSiOn,
THANK YOU !!!! :D That worked perfectly - all I needed to do was download QT7.4 from the Apple site and nothing else - worked like a dream. Thanks again iCeFuSiOn ! :apple:

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
iCeFuSiOn,
THANK YOU !!!! :D That worked perfectly - all I needed to do was download QT7.4 from the Apple site and nothing else - worked like a dream. Thanks again iCeFuSiOn ! :apple:
Glad to hear that it worked for you! I'd also recommend running a Permissions Repair at some point just to be on the safe side (you can do this by running Disk Utility, First Aid tab, and then "Repair Permissions")

Have a good day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.