Can't update Quicktime via software update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by balwx, Apr 4, 2008.

1. balwx macrumors regular

Greetings.

I'm using 10.5.2 on my nice new macbook. When I try to update quicktime using software update I get this error "You do not have appropriate access privileges.
    The Installer package has been moved to the Trash. To try again, open the package from the Finder."

I have also received this error on past quicktime upgrades using system update. I can install quicktime correctly, if I d/l the entire program from apple.com. I am logged in as administrator.

Can anyone please help? Thanks!

2. balwx thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to add, that I was able to install all other updates without any problems. Anyone have thoughts?

thanks

3. balwx thread starter macrumors regular

4. claytonblackbur macrumors newbie

Root Account Solution

:eek: That solution is probably the correct one, but it looks scary. I solved the problem by logging in as "root" (System Administrator) before heading back to "software update" to reinstall the software.

5. balwx thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, didnt realize the different 'solutions' in that thread. This is what worked for me

You can fix it like this:

Go to Library/Updates, you should see a folder called something like 'OS X Update' - throw this away.
    Run software update again and it should download the update again and all should be well

6. claytonblackbur macrumors newbie

QuickTime

Re-thinking this since this morning. My approach is probably the dangerous one! The MAC gurus seem to really discourage even activating the root account. I find it solves most of my "privilege" installation problems however. I need to be more careful how I word posts; I didn't mean to criticize the balwx approach. :)