Can't update to 10.6.7 (2011 MacBook Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gigapocket1, Mar 22, 2011.

1. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I have a new 2011 MacBook Pro.. I downloaded Mac OS X 10.6.7 special build for early 2011 MacBook Pros.. Which i know thats the one i got.. i have thunderbolt etc...

Well Software update keeps saying that their no updates for my system... So i went to apple.com and downloaded it and tried to install it.. This is what it says..

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Call Apple. You've paid for the privilege (with the purchase of a new Mac). They will know things that a rumour site won't know. Most of knowledge that is here is, imo, from members who have called Apple and are then passing on what they think they heard. Or people like me who read the posts and then pass on what they think they read, from people who are passing on what they think they heard. :)

ps Thanks for confirming for me that I shouldn't install 10.6.7 for at least a week....

3. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Looks like your 10.6.6 should be at least Build 10J3210 for the installer to run.

The model needs to be 'MacBookPro8,1' , 'MacBookPro8,2' or 'MacBookPro8,3' which if you have Thunderbolt (as you say you do), it should be.

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much else that should be preventing an install.

After successfully applying the update, the build should be 10J3250.

4. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm on 10.6.6.. And whatever build came with my Mac..

I called apple, they told me to send them my system profile log and it's going to take 2-3 days before they get back to me..

I upgraded my ram to 8 gigs.. Do u think that could b the problem?

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Another option might be to clear system/user caches?

It's not the RAM if it were you'd be having kernel panics and/or your machine wouldn't even boot.

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

See? Apple is helpful-like, eh? You'll get it sorted. It just may take a few days.

7. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple called me back around 1 EST..

As stated above the build number on my mac is wrong.. Updating it to the correct build from the CD and then going to try to install the update...

I dont know how this could have happened.. I didnt restore from a time machine or anything like that.. Hopefully this works

8. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Hmmmm... if this is correct, and it's a factory error, I'll bet that Apple comes out with a v1.1 of the MBP Early 2011 10.6.7 Update with a modified distribution file.

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yep. The OP may have just had a "Zero Day Bug" ....

Ok, I just made that up, but it sounds good. And I hope you know what I mean.

:D

10. vanhaze macrumors newbie

I have the EXACT problem..

Bought a new macbook pro today, model 8.2
    I had the factory 750 gig HD replaced by a 500 gig 7200 rpm HD at the store.

i have build Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J4026) that came on that 500 gig drive.

Trying to update (via software update) or by trying to install the 10.6.7 combo update : both methods a no-go :(

Dunno what to do now.

UUUGHHH...

Best,

Rob.

11. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem was that when i restored my macbook from my time machine.. It put the old os back on. And when .7 came out my computer wasnt built with that build that time machine put on so it wouldnt let me update. i basically had to restore computer...and start all over... You could how ever put in your mac os disc.. and do new install and have it save your home folder. that should put the right build back on your computer and allow you to update..

12. vanhaze macrumors newbie

Thanx for the response mate.

I succesfully upgraded to 10.6.7 by indeed using the factory grey restore dvd that came with my macbook.

It just upgraded all the system files to 10.6.7 and let everything what i had installed (apps, documents, preference settings) alone.

I always thought such a restore would wipe everything :0)

Best,

Rob.