Can't update to iOS 4.3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nathanl1192, Jan 14, 2011.

1. nathanl1192 macrumors member

Hi there!

I am trying to install iOS 4.3 on iPad but it is not working. I option-click the check for update button, choose the 4.3 software and wait, then part way through the update (itunes reads 'waiting for iPad') my iPad goes into recovery mode and I get unknown error 14.

I understand this could be something to do with USB, but everything else seems fine, and only recently did I use them same steps to use iOS 4.2 beta! I am almost definitely ruling out USB malfunction.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Option click on the restore button, to install beta updates you restore your device

3. nathanl1192 thread starter macrumors member

Restoring is a hassle!

I know, but previously, and as Gizmodo has recently noted, you can just update, and make no change to your iPads contents! I have done my way before!

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Contact Apple developer program for support.

You ARE a developer aren't you? :rolleyes:

5. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I had that problem. But in the end I just did a back and restore to 4.3 beta instead

Are you jailbroken? Or previously jail broken? You might need to check your hosts file isn't pointing to cydia else it won't be able to auth with apple

6. nathanl1192 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm....

My iPad has never been jailbroken, CRuNcHiE, do you mind describing your issue to me, as I don't want to go through the hassle of a restore, and then find it didn't work....

I would rather completely avoid a restore if possible!

7. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

When I tried to update it would seem to reboot my iPad , the iPad would briefly dhow the connect to iTunes screen then show the apple with the update status bar.

iTunes would say waiting for iPad, but nothing happened after a while and then i got error 14 I think.

It then left my iPad on connect to iTunes screen. I had to use 'recboot' to get out of it and back to working 4.2.1.

Backing up and restoring worked fine and I'm typing from it now.

8. nathanl1192 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly what has happened to me!

Thanks so much for this, if beta 2 does the same I may restore!

9. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Just restore, apple post instructions of the Dev portal for a reason

10. Walshy440 macrumors newbie

Walshy440

Error 14 :-(

Hi I have exactly the same issue. I am on the dev program and have had no issues with all the other beta's. The only thing that has changed recently is that I have had to rebuild my hard drive after my last failed and I also moved my itunes library onto my time capsule. I have restored back to 4.2.1 after two attempts to go to 4.3 (restoring from my time capsule has been seriously painful) - both attempts ended up with error 14. Would be keen to know step by step how you restore to 4.3 and not 4.2.1.

11. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Is your udid registered?
    Just Alt Click restore and choose the 4.3 firmware file.

If it's not registered it won't work. UPGRADING without udid registered did work but maybe now thats been blocked too.

12. Walshy440 macrumors newbie

Walshy440

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes my udid is def registered - I've used beta's several times before without any issues. I would like to try your method of restoring straight to 4.3 rather than updating, however, will I lose all my settings and data if I go via this route?

13. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

It will take longer , but you wont lose anything.

just plugin your ipad and in itunes, right click on the ipad and choose backup.

then do the restore.

4.3 will install

then when the ipad boots it'll ask do you want to restore from a backup and yuo just choose the last backup you made before and it'll leave you with 4.3 and all your wifi passwords, mp3 , apps etc

14. Walshy440 macrumors newbie

Walshy440

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go. I might move my itunes library back from my time capsule onto my mbp though as it takes ages to reload all of that data. I'll let you know hoe I get on :)

15. Walshy440 macrumors newbie

Walshy440

Error 14 gone :)

Oh well I guess I should have read the instructions in the first place - all up and running with the latest multi touch gestures - thanks for your help Crunchie!