Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

idntknw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
I'm trying to update to the command line update, safari, itunes and the security update.

I tried to do all of them at once and after a restart I get the circle with the line. I restored from backup and tried to update one at a time. The only update that will work is safari. All the rest I get the circle with the line. Even itunes.

Any idea whats going on?

Thanks

idntknw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
If I reinstall Yosemite from a thumb drive will I lose all my files?

I really don't know what else to to try other than a full wipe and reinstall which I'm trying to avoid.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
If I reinstall Yosemite from a thumb drive will I lose all my files?
I really don't know what else to to try other than a full wipe and reinstall which I'm trying to avoid.
No. To preserve your files, start up from the USB thumb drive, select language, then select install OS from the next screen. Install OS just reinstalls the OS without removing your files. BTW, you might consider running Disk Utility and Verify your disk to see if there are any errors before installing the OS.

WARNING: If you decide to wipe then make sure you have your data backed up before you run Disk Utility and Erase because that will wipe everything.

idntknw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks. Did the reinstall and now I'm able to update with no issues.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.