Can't upgrade 3G to iOS 4.2?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rye9, Dec 3, 2010.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

My younger brother, who has inherited my old iPhone 3G called me today concerned that he couldn't update his iPhone to the newest iOS version. Apparently, Apple decided to make iTunes 10 Snow/Leopard only and he's on the last iBook made running Tiger. He tried updating his iPhone, but it tells him to update iTunes first, but he can't download and install it obviously.

Is there something missing and/or a way around this? Why would Apple NOW make it impossible to upgrade? The iPhone has done just fine upgrading to iOS 4.1 over the months... on this random release it is now impossible to upgrade because of iTunes?

Please help...

2. iVoid macrumors 65816

You could upgrade it on another Mac that has SL/L on it.

The only problem is I'm not sure if 4.2.1 will sync with an earlier version of iTunes.

Or, ironically, run Windows in Parallels to update/sync it. Then send Apple an email about how you had to use Windows because of this. :)

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

If you can install iTunes 9, that will give you the OS 4.1 upgrade. 4.2 isn't any better for the 3G.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's bizarre to say the least, I tried to tell everyone things were moving this direction back in June, but no one seemed to care. He's not going to be able to do it, and anyone that defends Apple on this is wrong.