Can't upgrade because "There are no files found"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LightDemon69, Mar 5, 2008.

1. LightDemon69 macrumors member

I just received my copy of Leopard that I ordered from Amazon.com, and tried to install it on my iBook G4. The machine meets all requirements, and everything seems to go fine. Then when it starts to install, it says something along the lines of "Can't upgrade because there are no files to be found" or something to that effect. I've tried it 3 times now, and it just won't work. However, it boots just fine into Panther (which is installed on the HDD). I've repaired permissions, ran fsck, and used the Original Software Install Disc to "repair disc" and it still won't work.

2. LightDemon69 thread starter macrumors member

For the exact wording, it says: "Install Failed. Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer. The installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install."

3. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

my guess.......is this an "upgrade" installer disk as opposed to the full retail disk?

The message you're getting is what I would expect if you used one of those to try to install 10.5 on a computer that's currently running Panther instead of Tiger, which it probably requires.

5. LightDemon69 thread starter macrumors member

It is the full retail version. I've tried Upgrade, Archive and Install, and Erase and Install and nothing happens, I get the error every time.

6. LightDemon69 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help and attempts guys. I called Apple and they said that that means that there is some sort of problem with the disc itself, and are replacing it.