Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariasmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have a macbook air late 2012 model and i am still running the ancient version of Mavericks 10.9.5. Awhile back there was an accident where i split some water on my mac air and it fried the battery, so now i have to keep the thing plugged in if i want to use which it works great. Recently due to the latest update i have tried using some programs on my cpu and lost some functionality because i need to upgrade to newer ios and it will not let me. When dl the update and then go to run it there is an error msg thaty comes up which states that my cpu has to be plugged into a power source in order for the update to run and install, however my computer is plugged in!
Ive tried to go into the energy settings and that doesnt work, also in the upper right hand corner by the time it has my battery with an X through it and says no battery available. Please help me install this update so i can use my computer effectively until i can afford to get a new one! Any info or help on troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Didn't try, but perhaps you could use a no-break with USB connection cable, like this APC one:
P11453720510.jpg

Perhaps it will be recognized as a battery and OSX won't refuse to install. I use this no-break with a Mac Mini an it is recognized as a battery, like if my Mini was a laptop. Of course I have to plug its included USB cable to my MacMini, so it can be found by OSX. It's a pretty common equipment, maybe you have a friend who owns one.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
brdeveloper is referring to an Uninterruptible Power Supply. These can look like a battery to operating system when they are connected via USB, which all but the basic models will have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.