Cant upgrade Iphoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slcoastal, Sep 24, 2015.

1. slcoastal macrumors newbie

My version of iPhoto must be before 9.0. I just installed Yosemite and now I need help upgrading iPhoto. Its not looking like an easy fix. Ive downloaded the "upgrader" but my version is too old to upgrade...dont know what version it is. (This desktop has been in the closet for a couple of years). 9.0 is no longer available for purchase, says the App Store. What to do?
    Thanks!! xo

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

If you can't get it from the App Store, your only choice may be to start searching "the non-official" sites, in hope that you may find a copy. It might even be necessary to "go to the torrents".

Others will say that you shouldn't do this, but if Apple will no longer provide you with a legitimate path to what once was freely-available software, well... a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do...

3. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

I have the same problem and I thought I had the latest version for ML. When I upgraded to Yosemite I was unable to access my photos and could not upgrade to a later vs of iPhoto from the app store. I have most of my photos on my iPad but I wanted to import to my computer.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Try this:

Upgrade with the help of customer service. If, however, iPhoto isn’t offered as an upgrade and it is not on your purchase list, it probably means you are running iPhoto 8 (or iPhoto ’09) or earlier and you will need to contact Apple for an iPhoto download code. Visit https://www.apple.com/support/contact/ and choose Get Started > Apps & Software > Mac Apps > Photos > Topic Not Listed. Tell them that you need a download code for iPhoto and then choose how you would like Apple to contact you. I know, this sounds like a convoluted process for customer service, but Apple’s way of doing this helps you avoid waiting on hold or having to navigate a complex system of touch tone prompts.

Taken from here:
    http://jimmymacsupport.com/photos-n...ack-after-upgrading-to-os-x-yosemite-10-10-3/

However, when I tried they told me that iPhoto doesn't work with 10.10.5, but others say different.

5. chscag macrumors 68000

This has worked for some folks: Move your current copy of iPhoto from your Applications folder to another location on your Mac. (don't delete it!) Now go to your "purchased" items on the Mac App Store, iPhoto should be there. Download it again and it should download the latest version. However, keep in mind that Apple is no longer supporting iPhoto and that it will likely be outmoded sometime in the future. I recommend getting used to using the newer "Photos" app.

6. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I recommend contacting Apple Support like Dave Braine suggested.

At this point I cannot recommend using Photos because it lacks most of organisational features of iPhoto. IF Apple improves Photos enough I might change my opinion...

Long term it might be better to ditch Photos and iPhoto and look for alternatives. If your picture collection is modest using Finder and folders might suffice.

7. chscag macrumors 68000

A newer and improved version of Photos will be included with El Capitan. Also, most folks who have given up on Photos have done so because of what you stated above. However, with some patience and practice, Photos will become a very usable app. Of course you can always purchase Lightroom from Adobe or the new Affinity Photo from Serif. $$$ £££ !

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see apple improving Photos to the point of making it useable - at least for me that is. I'd rather spend some money and get a product that is more robust and I'll also have peace of mind that it will be there for years to come.

Apple has a history of blowing up its apps in lieu of something newer and more magical. Aperture withered on the vine for too many years without updates. I got burned by apple once - I've gone with a company (adobe) that has a better reputation with its image editing software.