Can't upgrade mid 2012 macbook pro SSD WTF?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kudukudu, Jun 9, 2014.

1. kudukudu macrumors regular

I have a mid 2012 retina macbookpro with the 500 GB apple SSD that is now out of space. I logged onto OWC to see about getting a 1 TB SSD and am disappointed to see that the highest capacity drive you can put in the mid 2012 macbookpro retina (remember these are not standard SSDs to save space in the retina model) is 480 GB.

This smells like Apple's built-in obsolescence in overdrive. Upgrading storage midway through a computer's life has been an upgrade option for computers since, well, there were computers. I am annoyed that I can't extend the life of this 2 year old machine by putting a decent 2014 sized SSD in it.

While this could be that OWC just has decided not to make a 1 TB option for the 2012 model, I suspect apple has done something to the 2012 to prevent a larger drive from working.

Very disappointing.

2. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

This has been common knowledge since the Retina models were released. You can no longer upgrade them, not even the RAM. That being said, do you need all 500GB of data on your machine at one time? You can always move the unused stuff to an external drive. Also there was a post here like last week or so with a new storage drive that fits in the SD card slot of your MacBook, it's a really slick design.

3. Naimfan, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's a 960GB option with the Transcend Jet Drive mSATA blade SSD.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Or perhaps the market for such upgrades is only just coming up to where 3rd parties see enough demand to develop a solution....and some will develop it earlier than others...

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

This is a well know issue with the switch to rMBP, and one of the major cons.

There is almost of serviceability in the new range.

Thought the 2012 came with a 750 GB drive, I know cause mine has one.

Apple would like you money up front for the larger capacity.

8. 5to1 macrumors regular

Since the 2012 model included an SKU with a higher capacity SSD, this somewhat scuppers your suspicion of a nefarious plan by Apple to limit the machine.

This is nothing new and not really limited to Apple. The same thing happened when manufacturers first started putting 1.8" drives in sub-notebooks. It took a while for it to become worthwhile for aftermarket manufacturers to produce replacements.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Buy an external Thunderbolt SSD (or HDD Raid combination) - win!

10. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Your tinfoil hat is ready to be picked up from the dry cleaners.

11. kudukudu thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the constructive suggestions. I think I am gonna shell out $100 for the add-on 128GB jetdrive card to give me some extra mileage.

As for tinfoil hats, the number of fanboy apple sheep on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

12. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Transcend has a 960Gb drive for rMBPs available.

NaimFan posted this earlier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKCHMP0

Edit: As did yjchua95. Ok, my post seems completely redundant...

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Did you even notice the Transcend JetDrive upgrade that allows you to put in a 960GB mSATA blade SSD?