Cant upgrade my software to iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glasmale26, Sep 27, 2010.

1. glasmale26 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Im tying to upgrade to iphone 4 software and understand I need to have itunes 10. When I check for updates in Itunes it says my version 9.1.1 is the currnt version. I'm sure this is not correct and as such I cannot upgrade the iphone software to iphone 4 (the phone is 3gs and running 3.1.3 version.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks
    Steven

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Add to that, what country are you in? Maybe it hasn't been released yet there.

5. glasmale26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

It's a MacBook I have with os x. I'm in the uk an when I download iTunes 10 from apple a .rdp.dmg file is saved. However I can't get that file to open and can see mention of it when I google it!

If I go to iTunes it says my version is the lates version but I'm sure it isn't.

I'm in the UK

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

the question is what version of osx are you running? click on apple->about this mac.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yup, Apple is going hard after Tiger users; iTunes 10 is only supported by Leopard.

8. glasmale26 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?

I'm pretty sure it's tiger I have, the macs about 3 years old. Leopard is the one you pay for right?
    So what is the solution? Surely the would want everyone to upgrade their software? I just don't fancy paying for a new operating software when the comp has loads of great programmes on it already?
    If I take it to the apple shop will they do it there?

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

From the iTunes DL page:

Macintosh Software

* Mac OS X version 10.5 or later
    * QuickTime 7.6 or later
    * Support for HE-AAC requires QuickTime 7.6.4 or later
    * Safari 4.0.3 or later
    * 200MB of available disk space

Yes, Leopard is the latest version of OS X, but saying "it's the one you pay for" is like saying the difference between XP and Windows 7 is that Windows 7 is the one you pay for because you're still running XP. I had this problem when I upgraded to the iPhone 4, except my Superdrive is shot so it was physically impossible for me to upgrade. I went into a Apple store and they did it for me after I bought the $29 SL upgrade disc. It's pretty much the only way, they don't appear interested in supporting the iPhone 4 and newer versions of iTunes on Tiger. It's not like you're losing anything you have, what would give you that idea?