Can't Upgrade till JULY?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jtuner77, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Jtuner77 macrumors regular

So last year on the release date I purchased the 3G Iphone.

So today upon hearing of the release I call AT&T and they tell me I am not eligible for a upgrade till July 12th of 2009. So let me get this right Anyone that upgraded their phone last year at the release time can't upgrade till AFTER this release date? If so isn't that screwing all the comsumers that have been supporting the Iphone since last year on the release date?

Wow if this is true then that is some **** customer service right there....

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

they do have you sign a two year contract so. .. :p ... at least we didnt sign a contract for some bootleg motorola phone :p

3. Jtuner77 thread starter macrumors regular

You are allowed an upgrade one year from the date of purchase or start of new contract WHICH they usually allow a early upgrade within a month from the date of new contract or last upgrade BUT they don't allow it on Iphones for some stupid reason that they couldn't even tell me themselves and they being AT&T customer service.....

4. saDeRmac macrumors regular

It's due to the large subsidy that AT&T created for the phones. They were paying $599/$699 for phones they were subsidizing for $199/$299. The upgrade eligibility varies on the tenure of the line. Usually, with good payment history you are allowed to upgrade within 18 mths of the the previous upgrade. The iPhone has certain stipulations to go along with it. The early upgrade price is $200 more than the subsidy because you haven't finished your old subsidy and the iPhone is definitely a more expensive phone.

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Think of it this way: you get to avoid long lines, activation ache, and out-of-stock annoyances ;)

6. Jtuner77 thread starter macrumors regular

Or they could be sold out....I remember there was a 3 week drought of Iphones last year...or was that the first year?

Yea I see the point of waiting, just kinda bummed is all.

7. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I bought my 3g on release day and my account is showing 12/12/2009. I was thinking that they were letting you upgrade at the new customer price if you had the phone a year. Seems like someone at AT&T would just make it 11 months and one week just so the folks who got up early and stood in line could do it again this year.

8. KratosKilla macrumors regular

Are you the primary account holder.
    I think it's 12 months for primary and 6 more for every other person on the plan.

9. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

You are 100% correct. just got off the phone with ATT. They said the primary number is eligible after 12 months, while other phones in the plan are after 18 months..Go figure.

My phone wasn't the primary. I'm attempting to get that switched

i switched it but it still doesn't matter. i have to wait until 3/2010. i will wait until next july, when my contract is up, and then switch carriers instead.

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I'm not the primary account holder and it's showing me as eligible on 7/12 (I bought mine launch day).

11. saDeRmac macrumors regular

It depends on the rate plan and if your phone is set as the primary line. The higher the rate plan the less all lines have to wait before they can upgrade their line.

12. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Oh no! One whole month!

What a terrible inconvenience!

13. cmufan macrumors newbie

Hmm, thats weird, my number is the primary one and I bought mine on release day too, it says I have to wait till August 3rd. I'm going to call them up

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Assuming you bought the 3G on launch, you're in a 2 year contract until July 2010. You should be happy with the fact they're letting you upgrade sometime in 2009.

15. itouchaddicted macrumors regular

quick question

hey guys sorry for being so lame on this as I am new to iphone...I just wanted to ask when a person is eligible for an upgrade, he buys the new one and what happens to his old one-does the apple take it for some refund or its just wasted... or in other words what exactly is upgrading..
    Thanks guys

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You get to keep the old one. Either keep it as a spare phone or sell it.

17. MacKinvan macrumors member

I bought on launch day, and it said I was eligible for an upgrade on 7/13/09. I wonder if it has anything to do with me being on a govt plan?

18. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

You might be able to go in a week or two before 7/12 and see if they will do it for u anyways.

19. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

It's a TWO-YEAR contract. Be happy AT&T isn't making you wait the whole two-years or charging a massive early upgrade fee. Next time you sign that contract...READ IT!