Cant Upgrade to 1.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Syph, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Syph macrumors newbie

I bought the "January Software Update" (ugh no pitty please) and downloaded the new update, but every time I click to update, it gets stuck on "preparing ipod for software update". Then my ipod disappears from the list but is still charging. The error that pops up has a code but...

Now it cant connect to the software update server...

Is this cause its Day one and everyone is trying to download it or is it an isolated problem?

Thanks in advance

2. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

3. intempo808 macrumors regular

I downloaded the firmware update 1.1.3 a minute ago and now when i click update it just comes up with a message saying something about not being able to connect to the ipod software update server...:mad:

not happy.... all i want to do is upgrade...
    plus... i just brought the iPod Touch app pack thing... whats going to happen to that if I dont have 1.1.3?!?!? better not have to pay again?!!:mad:

4. Syph thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL this makes me laugh so much....

I upgraded my itunes by the way, did you all upgrade also? Can it be that?

5. intempo808 macrumors regular

Yes, i did upgrade my iTunes, but from the Apple USA website not the UK one (i live in the UK)

Maybe this is why? :confused:

Its getting veryy annoying now!

6. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

I upgraded mine to 1.1.3 through iTunes in the UK and it came up with some error saying it couldn't update properly and now it won't be restored because it can't find the update server.. guess I'll just wait for it to come back online and restore the ipod then try again.. :rolleyes:

7. Syph thread starter macrumors newbie

I upgraded, then bought the apps, and then tried to update the iPod but it didnt let me, and now it seems that iTunes can not connect to the server at all. It seems the lucky few who downloaded all this before the rush came got their apps, now we are stuck

8. Frankenn macrumors newbie

I got the same problem when I tied to upgrade to 1.1.3 :(
    Btw I'm living in Denmark, so the problem does not seem to be isolated to UK..

EDIT
    Seems like the problem is solved :D At least I can upgrade my iPod to 1.1.3 now.

9. Mercod macrumors newbie

Hello. Did the same thing to me. Downloaded 1.1.3 then it disappeared. I found it in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USER NAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

(I'm sorry, I don't know where they're stored on macs - try searching for file extension ".ipsw")

Then just click update in iTunes while holding Shift, and navigate to that folder and the 1.1.3 update file. Should update to 1.1.3!!

10. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

ah thanks, I held down shift when clicking restore and it automatically 'restored' from the already downloaded 1.1.3 firmware instead of trying to connect to the busy server. FWIW the updates on OSX are located in userdir/library/itunes/ipod software updates

11. Syph thread starter macrumors newbie

It finds the file and begins the process but then when it says "preparing iPod for software upgrade" it just stops tells me error 1602 happened and then my iPod is off the list

12. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

That's the error I got first time, but the second time it worked.. no idea if I downloaded/paid for the extra apps. Maybe try it again??

13. Syph thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Power-Maka-16 macrumors newbie

I have to say that the update worked flawlessly the first time i tried it, but i think its because i installed it just a few seconds after it was released, so i dont know, and i live in the uk, so you guys probably just got caught in the rush. Oh and i did update itunes before i did it. The apps are amazing :D although quite expensive.

15. supermeerkat macrumors newbie

Same here.

16. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Mine hangs on preparing update. I started up in recovery mode and am running a restore. Trying it after that. I'll let you know what I get.

17. Bobigno macrumors newbie

i got charged TWICE by apple, and didn't get anything. no apps, nothing..

1.1.3 update worked
    and also itunes update
    but after purchase of the new software nothing changed.. same apps.

HORROR!

somebody else with the same problem?

what to do?

greetings from germany!

18. Kelleheretic macrumors newbie

Kelleheretic

I need a direct link to the iPod touch update, the update servers are blocked by overzealous firewalls on my college campus. Help!

19. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Well, booting my touch into recovery mode seems to have fixed the problem. Restored to the latest update and opened up to the new apps page. Makes me think new iPod touch's don't get it for free.

20. littleufo macrumors newbie

Yeah I got the same thing.. I only purchased it once though. But no apps, no nothing.. the only thing that changed was the bottom menu with Music Videos Photos and iTunes has the silver background.

I submitted the problem to Apple after I finally found out where to do it. Here's the response I got back:

I understand that you have recently purchased the "iPod touch January Software Upgrade" and you are concerned that all of the advertised features were not applied to your iPod Touch after you had completed the upgrade. I can certainly understand your concern with this issue, and I would be more than happy to assist you with this.

I would like to provide you with an article that assists with the upgrade of the iPod Touch.

Installing and verifying the iPod touch January Software Upgrade
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307243

I found this article for you on the iTunes support website at:
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww

At that website you will find a wide variety of helpful tutorials, troubleshooting tips, and support information.

I hope that this information will help to resolve the issue. If you require more in-depth assistance, you will need to call Apple technical support (there may be a fee associated with the call). To find the appropriate phone number, please visit:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

None of the links helped.. I found the update file, on my PC it's under C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Mobile Applications
    But double-clicking or dragging it into iTunes won't do anything.

Apparently after you download and install the app pack, in iTunes it should say "Software Version: 1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade)" in the information on the iPod touch. That's from this link: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307243

Keep me posted if anything works for you! I might try calling tech support to see if they know anything about it.

21. Syph thread starter macrumors newbie

Well last night I fixed the issue. Well not really fixed, I just went another route.

To fix that error, 1601-1602, according to apple, "Delete iTunes and Apple Mobile Device Completly And Reinstall" (google for proof), But when I did that, no dice. It gave me the same error. I then went to my friends house (who has a mac book pro) and he flawlessly installed the 1.1.3 update for me (ew@ the dock). Then I came back home and synced up to iTunes and it started to add the apps on its own. Now it says Version 1.1.3 with Software Upgrade.

Basically, Get off a PC, get on a :apple: and install that sucker....Then just press sync on ur pc or faulty ___ and the apps should come automatically :cool:

22. littleufo macrumors newbie

Wait.. doesn't that mean you have to buy the apps again, except on the mac? Or at least you have to system restore, right? Maybe?

23. Syph thread starter macrumors newbie

well I installed the 1.1.3 update on another machine... The apps I bought were on my machine and when I synced it to my newly upgraded touch it added the apps flawlessly.... So I'm just passing it forward since it worked for me.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Updated I tunes as per pop up request.

Vista downloaded new devices

I tunes updated and updated my libary.

Sync the touch then went onto asking me if i wanted the software package at £12.99.

Clicked yes and asked me for my password, this then went to download and updated onto my touch with no issues.

It did take quite a while which I suspect is down to so many people doing the same think.

So its not all horror stories !

And the people who are complaining about the cost for the apps > Come on guys and gals its the cost of a takeaway.

Either dont pay or jailbreak > simple choice.