Cant upgrade to 4.1 on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arram, Dec 28, 2010.

1. arram macrumors member

I recently bought a brand new sealed iphone4 on Craigslist and when I opened it, it had 4.0.1. I was surprised and really happy since I need the unlock. Now I'm trying to update it to 4.1. The blobs it will save is 4.2.1. I thought whatever firmware you're on, it's that blob it saves which let's you downgrade or upgrade. Does this mean I have to wait until 4.2.1 to upgrade and preserve my baseband? Thanks

2. arram thread starter macrumors member

also is there a way to check on the box which has 4.01 on it? like a model # or something

3. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

There's no way to upgrade to 4.1 now, just 4.2.1.

If you need the unlock, stay in 4.0.1 until there is an unlock for the newer baseband.

4. arram thread starter macrumors member

does the new pwngetool preserve baseband for 421?

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

The firmware that the phone already has on it has nothing to do with the blobs that can be collected. Right now, the only SHSH blobs that you can get are the ones for the MOST CURRENT VERSION of iOS, since you are actually collecting them straight from Apple's TSS server and Apple stops distributing SHSHs for the older version whenever a new version of iOS is released.

So if you leave 4.0.1, you will not be able to go back it it, and since you bought the device after 4.1 came and went, you can't collect 4.1 SHSHs for your phone.

This may be (partially) changing in the future, though. According to Dev Team members, it should be possible to collect SHSHs for the version currently installed on your phone by extracting them from the phone itself. The author of TinyUmbrella is currently working on a way to do this (see http://twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/17023495447781376 and http://twitter.com/notcom/status/18882808294412288), although he warns that it will probably be a month or more before he picks up development on TinyUmbrella again.

-- Nathan